Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local GPO overides AD GPOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvleaze

ISP
Mar 24, 2006
US
Hi all! I am studying for my 70-217 and have come across some conflicting rules having to do with GPOs.

I am using a book called Exam Cram for Directory services. Well it basically says that local GPOs always override and global gpos (active directory).. it's on page 157 if anyone has the book.

Well I have been reader other books that say the oppisite! So which is it? If something is set at the default domain policy, will this override something set at the local policy?

Bah, thats what I thought... man I hate books like this that have obvious mistakes.

This is what the book says...

"Local GPO settings will override any nonlocal GPO setting applied from the site, domain, or OU level, and are only recommended for use on standalone Windows 2000 Professional systems that are not part of an AD domain.

Funny, when a computer is not part of an AD domain, the Local policy is the only one that will matter anyway.

An easy way to remember the orders. The polices are applied in this order starting from Local, OU is applied last and therefore overrides all previous policies.

L - Local polices
S - Site based polices
D - Domain polices
O - OU polices, and nested ou polices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back