Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local/domain Admin privleges

Status
Not open for further replies.

billwoody

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2002
US
I have a couple PC's (SP6a) that after they've been ghosted (Norton Ghost) act strangely-- if you log on as the Domain Admin and try to do any Admin function (install programs, change network settings,etc) it tells you that you don't have Administrator rights. If you log on as the Local Administrator, everything's fine.

Only some of the PC's do this-- and it's from a couple of Ghost images, not just 1.

Any reason why and how to fix?

thanks

Is the domain admin group in the administrators group on the local pc? From what I remember is should have to be in there but I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

I suspect that you are trying to get these cloned machines to log onto a domain. The problem with ghosting is that you make an 2 (or more) the same. This also includes the machine SIDS (security identifyers) that are involved in logging onto a domain. The SIDS must be unique to the machine.

I suggest that you remove the machine from the domain on both sides - From the domain controllers and the local machine and change the machine name. Then re-create the machine account on the domain controllers, bring up the local machine and try to log in to the domain.

Hope this helps.

Thanks lifto, but I already have to do that... because the ghost image has the cloned PC's name and IP also, I have to remove the machine from the domain (reboot), change the machine name (reboot), remove the machine from Server Manager, rejoin the machine to the domain (reboot).
Plus, it's only on a couple (4 or 5 out of 100). I'm guessing there's something amiss in the registry, but haven't a clue where to look nor the guts to go playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back