Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local DNS not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmanyoung

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all,
Have some issues with my DNS server. All started after I installed VPN on my server2003. I am running AD, exchange, and DNS on this server. My Router does DHCP for my network. There are 3 DNS IP's listed, first one is my local server2003 running DNS, the other 2 are DNS from my ISP. My enviornment contains Windows XP desktops and laptops. All computer were able to use my local DNS server for local names resolution before. Now only PC's that are part of the domain can resolve names. The PC's that are part of a workgroup can ping the server2003 pc by IP, but cannot resolve its name or other names of pc's on the network. Internet addresses are OK. I have already recreated DNS zones and still the same results. TIA.

I'm guessing here, but have you turned off anonymous connections?

From one of the workgroup machines try and run the following from a command prompt

NET USE \\Server1\IPC$

if it completes succesfully this is not your problem.

When you say that you installed VPN what do you mean? Could you elaborate.

Windows and NT Admin.

Some considerations to look into:
Can you access network shares?
Can you browse other computers?

What is the node type when you do an ipconfig /all?
If it says peer-to-peer, then run regedit and go here:

HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
and delete these values if they're present:
NodeType
DhcpNodeType
Reboot, then try again.

If that doesn't help, open the same key again, create a DWORD value called "NodeType", and set it to 1 for "Broadcast" or 4 for
"Mixed".

George

ScottCr,
I can't get to \\server2003\IPC$ because it's not resolving the name. I installed VPN (routing and remote access), part of windows 2003. I even tried to turn it off but still the same.

pQi,
I can access network shares on the server thru IP. I can also browse other pc's on the network, both workgroup and domain pc's.

I've notice that all the WS PC's can see each other. They can ping each other by computer name. But, only the PC's on the domain can ping the DC (Server2003) by name. All PC's show the IP address of the server as DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back