Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local computer not resolving its own IP, but accesible from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

zianole

Programmer
Jan 9, 2007
I am running Apache web server on my home computer on winxp behind a dlink router. I forwarded port 80 to this computer. Now I can access my website from outside (any other computer on internet using ISP's given ip address) but when I type ISP's given IP address on same (home) computer, browser can not find my local webs service at port 80. but when I use localhost, it works fine.

Are you trying to use an IP address that is external to your local (in-house) network to access the web page? I doubt that your D-Link router can do that kind of routing.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

for example at this time my internet ip is 74.113.225.69
And you can see my site at But If I type this address at same (hosting) computer it does not work. Instead, if I enter it works.

I am using D-Link DVG 1120 router. You mean, I can not access external ip from same computer behind this router?

I agree with sleipnir214, your router is probably not doing it's loopback function the way you expect. If you want to use something other than 'localhost', give it a name (real or imagined) then add the corresponding entry to your hosts file.

smah! can you please explain/direct me to "hosts file". I realy need to resolve this issue now.
Thanks

Well, the hosts file is a way of resolving names like "localhost" to an IP address. If you have a name that you would like to resolve back to the local machine, just add a line to the hosts file with the name and the 127.0.0.1 loopback address.

If you're trying to access the machine by the public IP address (not name), I'm not sure that there's much that you can do without adding a DNS server or using a different router.

You could make sure that you have the latest firmware for your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back