Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local commands in ftp shell 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh1978

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
DE
hello together,
has anybody an idea how can i execute local commands (like dd) in a ftp shell? I will check the transmission speed with ftp. Can anybody help me?

best regards
kh1978

ftp isn't a shell. There are a limited number of commands available within an ftp session, type ? in the session to see them.

I want to create a file with dd in a ftp session to transmit this file. Can anybody help me? You can use the dd command in compination with the put/get command. But i can't remind me how this combination looked. anybody an idea?

damn it, I had a tip to crate and send a file in one line, but don't remember exactly :((

However to send commands to the shell, prefix the commands with !
eg :
ftp> !dd if=/dev/hdisk0 of=/tmp/file bs=1025 count=1000

by the way, the lcd command in ftp changes the local directory :
ftp> lcd /tmp
ftp> binary
ftp> put file

hope it helps, and if someone remembers the combination of '!dd' and 'put' in one line (there was a | in the command),please snd it !

regards

Hi,

Try enclose your dd command with " "
ftp> binary
ftp> put "| dd if=/path/my_file_local" /path/my_file_remote

Since ftp already reports transfer speed, why would you want to introduce the extra overhead of pipes and processes?

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Because you can see the real network speed if you copy one file from /dev/null to the remote host in /dev/null. Then you have no traffic on your hard disk.

kh1978,

Thanks for responding. That'll be handy to know if I can ever get the network upgraded to actually be faster than my disks.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back