Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local calls from call log not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneguy15

Vendor
Apr 23, 2002
US
I have a customer that is trying to use the call log to place calls, however if it is a local number, the system sends the 1 and the area code. The LEC only takes 7 digits for local calls.
How can I get the system to drop the area code for local calls but keep it for LD calls?

TIA

Todd

Ok, you r going to have to add a shortcode in the IPO. Here is my example below:

My area code is 518

SC- [9]518xxxxxxx
Tele- N
Feature- Dial3k1 (for t-1) or Dial (for copper POTS)
LineGroup- 0 (whatever line group u need to dial out on)

That code will drop 518 and send out only what would be the x's or the local portion of the phone number. Remember the N is equal to the x's. The telephone field is what the IPO will send out on the line.

Also, make sure you add the prefix 9 in the line settings. If you have a t-1, set the 9 prefix under t-1 settings. If you have copper POTS lines, set the 9 prefix for each line. If you dont, the call log wont dial the 9 before the number to get an outside line.

Hope this helps, Ill check back incase you have more questions!

Good-luck!

SuperJenks,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Would I have to make individual shortcodes for calls that are
in the same area code but are long distance calls?

yes, u will, and hate it when providers do that. It makes it very difficult for the vendor to set them all up. You have to add the exchange in the short code. Check this other example:

This code represents a call that needs the area code but is long distance within the 443 exchange:

My area code is 518

SC- [9]518443xxxx
Tele- 1518433N
Feature- Dial3k1 (for t-1) or Dial (for copper POTS)
LineGroup- 0 (whatever line group u need to dial out on)

You would have to do that for every exchange within the area code to allow for the call to go out. Otherwise, it would match the first shortcode I posted and the call would never go out. Notice I added the 1518433N in the telephone field because in this particular case, those are needed for the call to go through. Really u are building a routing table. It sucks to have to add them to every exchange. Your provider should be able to provide you with a list of all exchanges in your area. In addition, some times they dont require the 1 to be dialed for regional, so then you have to build everything twice on the chance that the user dials a 1 or not. Some providers allow you to do both, with or with out a 1 on regional and local. Its a mess right now with this. Ive had to add a 100-150 short codes to allow for this somtimes. Its a major pain.

I have an IPO on PRI. I inserted the 9 into the prefix box for the Lines. Now, in the call log, I have the 9 showing up on all incoming calls, but there is no '1' for the long distance. The numbers showing up in the call logs are 9 then area code (even for local calls) and the number. I can call out from the call logs for local calls (even with the area code there) but not long distance. I need to get the '1' in for long distance and at the same time not have the '1' show up for local calls. Would I put '91' into the prefix box and then use the same short codes, just include the '1' ahead of the 504 area code ?

No, because then it would add the 1 for local calls too unless you adjust for it in the shortcodes. The prefix works with all calls, local and longdistance. You dont want the 1 on local calls. This can really get complicating. Are you a vendor or in house IT/voice tech?

In house user. We recently went with the IPO, so I'm pretty new to this. I'm not trained, but I'm all we have.

If you cant resolve it on your own, we could help you outside of this forum. Let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back