Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Area Network Icon Dissapeared 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bplantman

Technical User
Jan 18, 2005
US
I just built a computer with an Abit NF7 motherboard. It has a built in ethernet network adapter on the board. I loaded a wireless USB network adapter onto the system to have wireless capabilities, but now that I want to go back to a wired system, the LAN icon dissappeared from My Network Connections in Windows. Also, when I go into Device Manager, there is no Networking Card that is present. What do I do to be able to use an ethernet wire to access the internet? Do I need to download a new driver for my network card? It won't let me Create A New Connection for a LAN either. Thanks!!!

Probably your first course of action would be to re-install the driver for the on-board Ethernet adapter. Sounds like somewhere along the line it was un-installed. Before doing that, un-install any other network adapters you don't plan on using to avoid any conflicts.

I no longer have my disk or the manual that came with the Abit NF7. Is there any place that I can find the model of the network adapter and the driver that I would need to install? Thanks!!

OK... So I tried this... finally got time to do it. Downloaded the driver and put it on a disk and transfered it to my other computer. Still no Local Area Connection. I cannot figure out how to get the icon of the LAN back up. Anyone else have any tips on this. How can I access my drivers to reload/reconfigure my LAN? Thanks

It would have helped tremendously if we knew what OS version, and service pack level, you were using.

I am therefore going to guess XP:

There is some overlap in these articles, but each one contains at least one thing differnt to check.

Best wishes,
Bill Castnr

It would have helped tremendously if we knew what OS version, and service pack level, you were using.

I am therefore going to guess XP:

There is some overlap in these articles, but each one contains at least one thing differnt to check.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

I went to the link and realized that I didn't have a network adapter in this step:

1. Verify the network adapter setting:
a. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
b. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
c. Expand Network Adapters, and then verify that the correct network adapter is listed.
d. Double-click the network adapter, and then verify that the "This device is working properly" message appears in the Device status box on the General tab.

I tried to upload the drivers already... that didn't help;

Any suggestions? Sorry, I'm ignorant about this.

This might sound silly, but are you sure the "integrated lan" in the BIOS is enabled? I can't see any reason why Windows wouldn't even detect it unless it was completely disabled in the BIOS. You don't need drivers for Windows to at least know it's there. If it was detected at all but didn't have drivers, it would probably just have an exclamation point next to it. Like I said, im not sure it's enabled in the BIOS.

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

Check:

. any software firewall needs either to be configured properly, or removed. Disabling the firewall will not help diagnose the issue;

. Watch out for "hidden" firewalls in antivirus products. PC-Illan is a notorious offender.

. Watch out for a VPN client software installation. CISCO VPN client software is a notorious offender.

If your research does not show any of the issues above, consider a repair/Upgrade reinstallation of XP.

. Do a slipstream of Service Pack 2
See my notes here: thread779-900263

. Use the slipstream for the repair installation -- you will not lose any settings, data or installed applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back