Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading swf into swf taking along time to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreley

Technical User
Sep 11, 2006
GB
Hi everyone

could anyone help me with a loading problem i have.

I have a main.swf with a number of projects that need to load into the main.swf

this is the action script i have on the project buttons:

on (press) {
loadMovieNum("projects/projecttitle.swf", 1);
}

The project loads but it seems as though there's a delay between clicking the project and the project starting to load.... so the user is left for short period not knowing if anything is happening

I've tried the site on another server to what i have it on, and it does the same thing.

You can view my problem at:

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jon

Nice works.

You should immediately display the loading progress bar on the button press. Looks like your progress bar is in the external SWF and that's why you don't see the progress bar straight away. If you place it in the main movie it should fix the issue.

Kenneth Kawamoto

Cheers Kenneth

i'll give it a go, got a feeling your right… it will fix this issue

Jon

Hi again

What actionscript would you use in the main fla to control what percentage on the external swf is loaded, at the moment i have a simple action script calling the external swf, but the loading sequence sometimes finishes before the project is loaded. what script would need to be in place to make sure the load sequence doesnt finish before the project is loaded?

any help would be appreciated

cheers

jon

I would use the MovieClipLoader class instead of loadMovieNum, with that class you have access to these events: onLoadComplete, onLoadError, onLoadInit, onLoadProgress, and onLoadStart ; and the methods loadClip and getProgress

everything you need to make a preloader!

You can also have a look at this...

Where you'll find this on page 3...

...if the current frame is beyond the frame that corresponds with the load percentage—I make the clip stop and wait for the load to catch up. If the target frame is beyond the current frame of the clip, I let the progress animation play.

Regards. FLASH HELP - OPENED FOR BUSINESS!
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

Thanks guys

i'll check these out

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back