Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loading older program on XP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH7210

Technical User
Oct 17, 2005
US
When I got my XP system years ago i installed microsoft money 99. I could access and download in administrator or limited accounts.

I had to reinstall original program a month or so ago and now can only download info from adminstrator not from the limited accounts as before the reinstall. I can still work in program from limited but just can not download.

When trying message says "Money has detected that a registry entry is missing. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks."

After reinstall the situation has not changed. Admin can download , limited can not.

All help is greatly appreceated.
KH7210

Two thoughts:

1.) Does the application place its settings in HKLM\Software or HKCU\Software? If HKCU, then the program may not work for any user other than the one who installed it (without transferring those settings to the other user). If HKLM, does the user need any additional permissions on the software's SubKey?

2.) Does the user have permission to the application folder and/or wherever downloads are stored?

You may want to consider using ProcMon (search Microsoft's website for this utility) to monitor the download process and see if you notice any access issues with the registry and/or specific files when the download process fails.

Hope that helps.

How do I seeif setting are in HKLM\Software or HKCU\Software?
I am a novice at this if user needs additional permission on the software's subkey how do I do this?

Thanks

If you're new to the registry, I'd recommend starting off by at least reading the Wikipedia article on the Windows Registry...

NOTE: The registry is dangerous place!... If you are unfamiliar with it, proceed with extreme caution. Any wrong changes can seriously damage your operating system and applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back