Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading From A CSV File

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbidingDude

Programmer
Oct 7, 2012
US
I'm fairly new to MySQL. I'm using version 8.0 on Linux Mint 20. I'm trying to fill a table with a csv file. The csv file is on another drive, so I used the following to load the table:

SQL:
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '/path/to/file/whatever.csv'
INTO TABLE my_table
LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n';

I forget what the original error was, but, searching, I found out about the mysql variable "secure_file_priv". The value of the variable is a path to where files can be uploaded from. In this case: /var/lib/mysql-files/
I was reading about how to disable that feature, but, rather than do that, I thought I would just copy the csv file to that directory (and maybe mess with disabling it later). I put the csv file directly in that folder. I tried again. I got some other cannot-open-file error.
Then I learned about the "local_infile" variable. I changed it from OFF to ON. Then I re-ran the code. I got:
ERROR 1290 (HY000): The MySQL server is running with the --secure-file-priv option so it cannot execute this statement

I know it's running with that option on. That's why I tried to appease it and put my file in that exact directory. This feels very Catch 22.

AbidingDude said:
I changed it from OFF to ON. Then I re-ran the code.

Between those two steps, did you restart the service? You should restart services after config changes.

I did... pretty sure anyway... After running:
SQL:
SET GLOBAL local_infile=TRUE;
I quit out of MySQL. The I ran:
sudo service mysql stop
sudo service mysql start

Then when I checked the local_infile variable again, is was set back to OFF. So I set it back on again. Then I loaded DBeaver (the program I've been using to practice database stuff). I tried again. DBeaver gave me a java.io.FileNotFoundException. I thought maybe it was some kind of client side problem. So I went back to my terminal where I was logged into mysql. I copied and pasted the same file loading code. I got this error:
ERROR 2068 (HY000): LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE file request rejected due to restrictions on access.

Just to triple-check I ran:
SQL:
SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE "local%";
[pre]And I get:
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| local_infile | ON |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)[/pre]

Status
Not open for further replies.