Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading Data into SQL Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUDGE27

MIS
Jul 20, 2002
AU
Hello,

Id like to knows of any loading techniques or
has recources on the topic of populating
tables from operational data sources.

Thanks in Advance.

what you mean by techniques to load from ODS, it depends on your data warehouse design. if you have any problem in loading specifically just mention that so that it can be answered.

ô¿ô Kishore

Thanks for your response.

Ive managed to purchase a great read "Professional SQL Server 2000 DTS (Data Transformation Service)"
which has most of the unanswered questions I require.

Kishleo, can you elaborate on your ODS interms of
design. Is it a mirror of your Data Warehouse or
a preserved schema of your OLTP database.

And how are you transfering data across to the ODS and
from the ODS to the Data warehouse. Also, can you
list the advantages of the ODS.

Thanks in Advance

Hello Judge27,

If you check out Books Online (BOL), Repository Databases, you may find info / explanations that you seek.

Hope this helps,

-dinzana

The ODS sits between the legacy applications environment and the data warehouse. The ODS is necesary when you have multiple and different kind of source systems, so that you can have data from all the sources in one place. normally ODS feeds the data warehouse

we cannot say exactly that ODS is mirror of the data warehouse. but we can say that ODS is also a data warehouse but the only difference between ODS and Data warehouse is ODS is Volatile,

normally ODS is loaded on daily basis sometimes it is updated as soon as source is updated, normally it is done on incremental basis
but Data warehouse will be updated periodically, may daily or weekly or monthly it depends on your data warehouse grain

you can check more details about the ODS in articles on those articles give you the clear idea than my explanation, if you have any question just ask me

NOTE:
if you want to know about the concepts and details of data warehouse i dont suggest you to read any book which is specific to the particular tool, try reading some general books on data warehouse so that you can get the clear concept of it and then you can continue reading your books on particular tools.

ô¿ô Kishore

Fantastic,

You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Thankyou,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back