Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading CM10.1 - ESXI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGMI

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
We have an S8300E to load for a client - CM10.1.X

We have the Avaya master ESXI license for when we load ACP/ASP on the R640s - but its for a lower ESXI release - R6.X or R7.0

The R10.1 SW load requires the Avaya master license for ESXI before it let's you begin.

Any tips on getting it loaded ...

We are searching thru Avaya support for the master license but will probably need to call support.

Let me know.

The master licence is in PLDS

Don't know R10 but as it's just a vmware licence so you could register an account with vmware add the licence and vmware will allow you to upgrade it to R8.0 for free.

The licence can be loaded/installed via the esxi web interface

Navigator >> host >> manage >> licencing >> "assign licence"

We have the correct license now but are having FQDN host certificate issues now

I have attached (3) screen shots...

We also ran the following commands.... no help....

In bash/ssh session ASP we ran these commands to set certs with customer info configured on the ASP.
cd /etc/vmware/ssl
mv rui.crt rui.crt.bkp
mv rui.key rui.key.bkp
/sbin/generate-certificates
/etc/init.d/hostd restart

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b2dc7131-1a1b-4ba6-a416-8fd69fda9a1c&file=error1.jpg
Look at security in esxi host (or vcenter if controlled by vcenter). Find the CN name in the cert. SDM must be able to resolve this name to an IP to create a "platform"

-CL

Is this Chris Lopes?

We tried your tip but can't find the CN name in the cert??

In ESXI manager host Client - logged in as root ...

It accepted our license ...

Any other options ... have the latest SDM version

Thanks!

Platform name is what you want to call it

The FQDN/IP field needs to be the fqdn name of the server i.e ntq----01.kmph.com

You also need to ensure that fqdn is resolvable via DNS i.e you have an A and ptr record in DNS for it (or use the host file on your client)

You can get the cert common name via chrome, open the esxi web browser and then click site security next to the url bar and choose "connection is secure" and then "certificate is valid" and it will display the cert properties with the CN (yours may say cert is not valid if it is the self signed one but that is still ok)

We finally were able to get the change made to the hosts file and saved.

Now we get an error "Retrieving Host certificate info failed" - see screenshot file - "Error3.jpg"

Also attached is the host file screenshot - "host File.jpg"

We are sure it is something simple as we went thru something similar when we first loaded CM8.1 - seems like a couple of years ago...

Thanks for your help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f89f41de-21cb-45f7-8c90-97e9378257bf&file=Host_file.jpg
Did you ever get this straight? After you made your host file change, were you able to ping that fqdn and get a reply? I just did my 1st 10.2 here and it was the same old nonsense just needing the CN name in the vmware cert to match the name you are entering into the PLATFORM setup in SDM which also needs to be resolvable by name from your workstation via DNS or a local hosts file. If you can't ping the name, it wont work.

-CL

Chris

We did figure out the FQDN and got 10.1 benched ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back