Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading 46xx IP Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyder

Vendor
Sep 21, 2006
US
Is there someone who can provide a concise statement of what happens during the bootup process in a dual vlan environment. The bootup sequence document comes close, but it isn't complete for a dual vlan environment.
This what I believe happens durning the phone loading:
Plug in phone
Phone requests DHCP on Default Vlan
DHCP Delivers Options 128,129,130, 132 and 133 to phone.
Phone recognises Via 132(vlan), 133(Priority) that it should be on different VLAN Phone ACK's IP but releases it back to DHCP server Phone resubmits TAGGED DHCP request on Voice vlan.
3300 "Hears" request and provides appropriate options.
Phone continues to load and proceeds to the registration process.

The problem we are having is it wont release the first IP adress from the data DHCP Server and optain a new one from the voice DCHP server.

I would like to understand how this is done.

rhyder,

phone uses 176 option not 128, 129, 132 and 133. otherwise you're right, it should boot up, request a dhcp address in default vlan, get 176 option string, see that there's a vlan specified and reboot into this vlan. nothing too complicated.

You are right with the option 176. I do have it defined in both dhcp scopes. It wont drop the data IP address. I have checked the scope to make sure it hasent changed. It is correct. I cant tell if there could be a problem with the way the customer has there ports configured in there switches.

rhyder,

well, afaik a phone won't drop an ip address in default vlan by itself, it'll just send another dhcp request to voice vlan and forget about default one. if you want these adresses to be reused you need to set a low lease time.

So your saying it will just pickup a new address from the voice dhcp server? Which dhcp server should have the low lease time? Can you think of any reason it the phones wont get the new address.When we shut down the data dhcp server the phones all load properly from the voice server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back