Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOAD wont work so... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat1967

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
Hi everyone,

i am stuck and need some advice or direction.

i have a web store that has about 1000 items in different catagories. i want to add a new catagory with 300 records. This new catagory is EXACTLY like one of my existing catagories with just one exception.

Currently, I must input each record in the database for this new catagory manually. that is a slow process!!!!

What i would like to be able to do is build a query to select all the records in the existing catagory that matches 95% of what i need. make a change to one column, and insert this "new" recordset back into the products table. this would certainly be a whole bunch easier than manually inputing each new record.

i can build select queries with no problem. but... i have no idea how to accomplish select, change, insert at the same time.

any ideas? hope i have not made this confusing.

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Software Testing Lead

This seems like a very elementary SQL problem. I doubt anyone can give you the code here, as the exact nature of what you want to do is not clear. You'd be quicker getting a basic SQL text. You'll need to know SQL in due course anyway.

By the way, why did you refer to "load" in your title but not in the text?

HI BNPMike,

I refered to LOAD because I have been trying to use the LOAD DATA INFILE or LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE through MySQL query interface my ISP provides. I am now being told from my ISP that this option is not activated for security reasons.

So, I am now trying to find alternatives.

In therory, this is 3 SQL statements. 1 - Select 2-Update 3-Insert. My problem is how to combine all three into 1 step. I can and do use SQL daily but in MS Access. In Access, I would create a temp table, make my changes, then insert the info back to the main table. No so bad since I can have my "hands" on the database. MySQL still scares me a bit and there must be an easier way.

I need to be able to select an existing recordset. Make changes to the records and then insert the "new" recordset back into the table as NEW records. I do not want to permanently modify the existing records which is what would happen if I used an Update query alone.

I am really just looking for some ideas to get "out of my Access box". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nathan
Project Manager III

How about something like:
[tt]
INSERT tbl (keyfield,category,field2,field3)
SELECT 1000+keyfield,7,field2,field3
FROM tbl WHERE category=6
[/tt]

This assumes that:
- The products are primary-keyed on a numeric field keyfield and adding 1000 to each value would produce new product codes. You would obviously a different system to suit your situation.
- The existing category number is 6, the new category number is 7.

Then you would edit the new records to suit.

-----
ALTER world DROP injustice, ADD peace;

Tony, what can i say....

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my god ... i have been going around the world. no wonder i am so tired at work. :)

Thank you very much. your example has shown me the light. it makes sense now. worked like a charm.

Nathan
Project Manager III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back