Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load temp table for ASP pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacroAlan

Programmer
Dec 4, 2006
US
The data on the SQL Server is over 70,000 rows. The pages refresh very slowly when I am making SUMing and GROUPing in the queries. Even after that, I frequently are left with 100s of rows.

I want to load the Temp table when the page is called and use it until the user goes elsewhere. My form has 4 dropdowns that are created from the data and builds 2 charts and 2 GridViews.

I don't want the user to be making a trip back to the SQL Server every few seconds.

Found some code to make a TEMP table but it loads from data keyed on screen. I already know how to make connection string. I need help with opening a query and filling the table.

[highlight #F57900]Anybody got some sample code??[/highlight]

Alan
[smurf]

I was thinking of storing the temp file in virtual space on the users machine. Queries would be lightning fast.

May need to get space allocated to my app on the SQL Server?

Alan
[smurf]

have you tried SQL Profiler to see if there is an issue or tuning opportunity with your SQL, could be Indexes etc, or underpowered SQL Server etc, that is likely to increase performance more than shipping data to a client machine - which will take up bandwith etc and may be difficult to store in some cases e.g. browser based etc.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back