Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load IOS image onto 2900XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkins679

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
US
Howdy. I'm having a problem with a 2900XL that I'm horsing around with (I'm an intern).

I'm supposed to load up a new IOS image to its flash. I was trying to do this via console cable to my Windows box running HyperTerm. Not enough space in the switch's flash, a look in it shows that there is the old IOS image there. No biggie, I write erase that image. Now there's plenty of room to load the new image.

Unfortunately, the swtich froze and I needed to reboot it. Not good, now I cannot get the image to load via HyperTerm from my Windows box at all. When I try to use transfer file via xmodem it just wheels-and-deals, but all I get are retry messages then it quits trying.

Any other reasonably easy ways to get this new image to load up to the switch? I've been following this Cisco support doc so far:

TIA.

BTW, within that Cisco document, I have been following this section:

"(Section B) Copying a New Software Image from ROM Monitor"

I get a switch: prompt, I can't seem to be able to copy the image from my Windows machine via HyperTerm to the swtich.

TIA.

Hi

Make sure that your file is in the right place on your PC. Browse to it in the window in Hyperterminal.

Also take note of the warning to get the transfer started promptly.

EB

I am having this same exact problem. Xmodem just keeps getting retry errors when trying to send image to the 2900XL. Has anyone ran into this problem or have a solutions for it. I have tried all of the cisco documentation for loading the image via xmodem.

I appreciate any help at all.

Make sure you image is compatible with the switch. Also, make sure you're entering the correct filename for the new image. Think UNIX...all commands are case sensitive and the image must be called through xmodem EXACTLY as it is stored on your computer, including the extenstion.

I've uploaded images following the documentation jatkins679 states without a hitch. I use HyperTerminal Private Edition connected through the console port on the switch. In fact, just did one of these two days ago.

I have done this lots of times and the answer takes quite some time. Reboot the switch and wait until it gets to the switch> prompt. This is using your console cable. Make sure that flash_init and boot_helper are loaded. Type the following command:
copy xmodem:c2924xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC5.bin flash:c2924xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC5.bin
(the bin file is made up by the way....use the one that you have saved on your computer.) Right click on the terminal and choose send file. You will then be directed to a menue...find the file and open it. If I got my facts right the transfer should start. Be aware that xmodem takes upwards to 40 minutes or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back