Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2003
GB
What is the best way of load balancing two 2mb adsl lines within a w2k domain using ISA server as the gateway software? Do I need to buy a special balancing router or can I achieve this with the current setup.

I would like trafic to be diverted from line1 to line2 once line1 reaches breaking point.

Any ideas?

BigDirk.

The ability to multilink a connection is possible. It will ballance the connection evenly across two or more connections. I've seen it done for modems, not DSL but you can always check it out.

Is there some kind of white paper to demonstrate how I can achieve this type of load balancing?I assume the same principle would apply for Adsl connections as with the modem that Seaspray suggested.

Let me know if further technical details are required in order to paint a better picture of the setup and what I would like to achieve.

BigDirk.

Do both lines go into the same modem/router? If they do, i would imagine the modem/router would handle this if not other routers will.

Unfortunately the two ADSL lines are seperate. Each have a router and a unique static IP. At present I have two ISA server machines running. One uses ADSL1 as the gateway and the other server uses ADSL2 as the gateway.In other words half the company goes through ADSL router1 for internet and the other half goes through the other.

I wan't to have only one ISA server, connected to both adsl routers. I assume I will need a network card that conects me to the company LAN and also a seperate nic for both the adsl routers.

How do I use my existing software to load balance trafic through both ADSL connections is I only have one ISA server?

BigDirk

I am also having this issue with ADSL lines, have you found a solution?

The internet to server is covered, instead of adding extra NICs we are going to do the following config: ADSL Modems > Switch > Server.

The issue is going server to internet, TCP/IP allows you via advanced settings to add multiple gateways, the question is if you give each gateway an equal metric will it load share?

Any more granular detail to this problem would be well appreciated.

The more you know, the more you realise there is to know....
CCNA MCP

$6000 for a piece of utility software is however a bit too rich for us!

The more you know, the more you realise there is to know....
CCNA MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back