Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Balancing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz101

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I work for an ASP providing a java application that has load balancing built into the application. We're starting to outgrow the model and I'm wondering if a Cisco CSS is a possible solution, considering the caveats below. I use one for a web site, but don't know if its capabilities fit my requirements for this application. If not, does anyone have a suggestion for another vendor or piece of equipment?

The problem is this: if a server goes down, all client sessions try to reconnect to another server and the JVM can't handle the onslaught of hundreds of simultaneous re-connects. If we employ a CSS, is there a way to limit the number of new connections within a certain time period?
Also, authentication takes place over one port, then the application connects over another port. Is there a way to have a client perform authentication and run the application on the same server?
Thanks

If you only have two Java App Servers, all of the reconnects are going to go to the one server still standing. Limiting the number of connections would cause the loss of customers.

Maybe adding to the number of Java App Servers available would allow distributing the reconnects across multiple servers. This may be able to be done by the Java App Server. Otherwise, depending on configuration, CSS can utilize a virtual address and send requests to available servers.

-jdusa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back