Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Balance/ High Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwillg

Technical User
Mar 13, 2001
US
I have a SS II 1000 and a SS II 3300 which I can use for this project. I basically have two hosts that are a mirror image of one another. All I have to do is get the switch to recognize a host is down and and send all traffic down the other link until the host returns. I have never worked with a switch before just routers so excuse me for I am a novice.

Well, I've got the resilient link pair setup already. I just wanted to know what was the difference between the Symmetric and the Switchback options when setting up a resilient link pair. I am using the 3com 3300 P/N 3C16980. Also, any body having issues with the ARP cache when the original host comes back online. There is an very discouraging lag time in the recovery of the switch. Is there some workaround. The 3com software revision on this switch is 2.69.

The difference between switchback and symmetric is that one reverts the resilient link back to the orignal active link automatically and the other requires user intervention.

i.e

Port 1 active port 2 backup

In switchback, if port 1 goes down, port 2 becomes active. But if port 1 suddenly comes back online then it takes over as active again. i.e the links toggle.

Symmetric, you have to login and switch them yourself

Thanks a bunch. This was bugging me for awhile and I couldn't get answers anywhere. I appreciate the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back