Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loacal and external ip problem. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omol

Technical User
May 22, 2006
CA
hey guys. i have a router linksys wrg5ts. i want to play fifa 06 online and when i connected my laptop to the internet directly without the router i still have the local ip address in the direct ip page for fifa 06. and when i give my external ip adrres to the player that wants to conect, it doesnt work.

This seems like the internet modem is doing NAT or your ISP supplies private ip addresses.

If you want to have a public ip address on laptop then you will have to speak to your ISP to get the public ip forwarded to the laptop.

I dont really think you need a router if it is only one machene you connect(laptop).

Linksys routers with NAT your IP, many online games need port other then HTTP(s)which you need to configure on your Linksys router to tell the router that incoming requests on those specific ports to go to your PC.

i have two computers and that is why i use a router. but still i do not undrestand why i can not host a game in fifa 06. even though i am directly connected to the interent (no router).

See if the other side can ping you local address, go to start > run > cmd .. ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What kind of Modem are you using? Does your ISP offer a Static IP address option for purchase? Have you tried IP-Mapping your WAN IP to your internal IP?

If router has a single point of entry from two switches which does load sharing, how could we assign IP address to the Router. If the router is sending the message to the switches then wouldn't there be a conflict and if so what is the remedy for this.

also, you could might want to open up one computer in the DMZ...
it'll elminate any sorta firewall's built into the router, but it should do the trick for you...

you'll need to specify a 'static' ip address on your computer (you could use the first one that you get when you use DHCP, but that COULD cause problems) and then, in the router setup you add that IP to the DMZ.

This'll make the computer act as though its not going through a router, and if people use your EXTERNAL IP address, they should be able to get into your game.

If you need more help/assistance with this,, just repost.

Best,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back