Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LJ3050 just printing 2 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoppett

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
GB
I have been given an HP LJ3050 and it only prints on the top 2 inches (exactly!) of the page. The printout is also faint despite the density being turned up to 5 (and that made a noticible difference).

I haven't connected it to a computer yet, and only tried to print the usage page, and done a copy. Brand new toner cartridge.

Could the image transfer kit be damaged?

Simon

I asume your printer only prints those two inches both when copying and processing a printjob ?

If so you could be facing one of several issues...

1) The high voltage charge of the transfer roller.
2) The power supply to the toner.
3) Issues with the laser.
4) Fuser issue.
5) Print engine (ECU) error.

Does the print stop with a fading effect or is it sharp where the print ends ?
Verify also the print on the paper is fused properly on the paper and cannot be rubbed off with a nail.

If the cut where the print stops is sharp, there might be an issue with the laser stopping to emit light to the image drum in the toner.
In that case you might notice a 51.XX error when trying to print or view the eventlog via the HP toolbox software.
Look for other error messages in that eventlog like 10.XX (cartridge related) 49.XX or 54.XX (engine related).

To perform a half self-test check
1) Print a self-test page. (Load paper in the upper manual feed tray and leave the tray below empty)
2) Open the print-cartridge door after the paper advances halfway through the printer (about 5 seconds after the motor begins to rotate). The leading edge of the paper should have advanced past the print cartridge.
3) Remove the print cartridge.
4) Open the print cartridge drum shield to view the drum surface. If a dark and distinct toner image is
present on the drum surface, assume that the first three functions of the image-formation process are functioning correctly (through the development stage).
Troubleshoot the failure as a transfer or fusing problem.

NOTE This test is especially important if refilled print cartridges have been used.
1) Open the print-cartridge door.
2) Remove the print cartridge.
3) Mark the drive gear on the cartridge with a felt-tipped marker. Note the position of the mark.
4) Install the print cartridge and close the print-cartridge door. The startup sequence should rotate the
drum enough to move the mark.
5) Open the print-cartridge door and inspect the gear that was marked in step 3. Verify that the mark moved. If the mark did not move, inspect the main drive assembly to make sure that it is meshing with the printcartridge gears. If the drive gears appear functional and the drum does not move, replace the print cartridge.

High-voltage contacts check:
The high-voltage contacts in the product must have a good connection with the contacts on the print cartridge to provide the necessary voltages for the image-formation processes. To check the print-cartridge contacts
Remove the print cartridge and visually inspect the three connection points on the end of the print cartridge. If they are dirty or corroded, clean them with isopropyl alcohol. If they are damaged,replace the print cartridge.
NOTE Use only isopropyl alcohol to clean the connections.

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply.

Yes, the printing was the same whether printing a report or copying a scan. I am using a brand new HP cartridge.

I would have said the printing stopped sharply, but the image is fading with each successive test print. The image, what there is cannot be rubbed off.

I haven't connected a computer yet so cannot view the log-I will try that next.

Half self-test: The drum had a beautiful dark image of the HP logo from the demo page on it.

Gear test: This test was passed.

I have found the contacts on the (new) cartridge and they are fine, but it is difficult to see the contacts on the printer. Are they attached to the PCB on the side on the printer?

Simon

The high voltage contact pins (small springs) for the toner are located in the left side of the printer on a plastic bracket. However since you can confirm there is a good looking image on the drum I doubt the cartridge, laser or power supply to the toner is faulty.
You also inform that the image printed can not be rubbed off so fuser operation is asumed OK also.
When you print several pages does it only print the first two inches on all pages or does it stop printing completely after the first page comes out only printing those two inches in the top of that page ?
In case only the first two inches are printed on the first page I would suspect the transfer roller to be defective or there would be a poor charging of it (high voltage). Checking and reseating the roller :
1) Open the print-cartridge door and remove the print cartridge.
2) Release the two locking tabs on the paper guide and rotate the guide up.
3) The clamps on the paper guide fit over the bearings on each end of the transfer roller. Do not touch the black-sponge portion of the transfer roller. Grasp the right end of the paper guide and pull the clamp off the bearing on the right side of the transfer roller. Then slide the clamp slightly to the right, and the left clamp will slide off the left bearing.
4) Squeeze the two small white tabs on the transfer roller with a small plier and you can pull out the roller.
5) Inspect the rolelr for contamination or damages.
6) Check the springs below where the roller was seated, they should "flex" properly in both ends to make good contact to the media when passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back