Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LiveUpdate Problem - HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoLucky

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
I keep getting the same error message from LiveUpdate.

The error message says
"LiveUpdate had an internal error while getting your updates. Your Symantec programs were not updated.
You should try to get updates at a later time. If LiveUpdate fails again with this error, you should re-install LiveUpdate."

I re-installed LiveUpdate. I get the same message.

Symantec has been no help. They keep passing me off to other departments. 5 hours later and the problem is not fixed.

We are using Symantec Antivirus 9.0 Corporate Edition. It is installed on a Microsoft 2000 server with Exchange 5.5 on it.

I set the Antivirus server client as unmanaged and excluded the files in the Exchange server Program (as per Symantec website).

HELP!!!!

Are you sure you can get to the internet from that box. Or are you using a Proxy server?

I am using a proxy server. I have never changed the settings.

The LiveUpdater was working for 3 months. Now I just get that "internal error" message whenever the LiveUpdater runs.

We have also download microsoft updates to this server in the past.

I ran into this exact same problem. However, it was with Norton Antivirus 2006. Symantec Enterprise 9.0, for some odd reason, works fine though. Fascinating. If you discover something, let me know.

Did it work until just after you installed the monthly Microsoft security patches? I was at a Symantec tech conference last week and a couple people talked about something similar - their LiveUpdate broke after installing Microsoft updates. They had to go back and uninstall the updates until they found out which one(s) broke their LiveUpdate...

Okay. Why would that effect Liveupdate in 2006, but not Corporate Edition? The Corporate Edition has been around for several years. Besides, the program I wasted my time and money on (Norton Antivirus 2006) won't even install now without failing. I installed the Corporate Edition (somebody hooked me up) and it works fine. Have the programmers gotten dumber over the years? Another "positive consequence" of outsourcing to India? It makes me wonder...

This error occurred suddenly.
We had done the last update 3 weeks prior and have done since then (trying to get this to work).

So Windows Updates should not be the problem.

I sat on the phone yesterday for 1.5 hours on hold, talked to a tech support person for 30 minutes and was told I needed to contact customer service and get a priority code.

This is Bull####. We paid good money for this product, I shouldn't have to make multiple phones and wait hours to get tech support. FYI - we have a 3 year maintenance contract with Symantec.

So you paid a ton of money for cheap labor. Glad to see that somebody else is good and pissed off about this. I think that all of the tech support reps should be programmers. You can't "wing it" with cheap labor from India. A 3-year contract? That bites! I worked in retail years back. One of the lessons I learned was that customer service is key. If you can't maintain a good relationship with your customer, you will develop a bad reputation and your company will go under. BTW, I would uninstall the product if it is giving your too much trouble. Then I would install AVG or Avast. It's all free anyway.

Uninstall liveupdate, delete all associated directories, then you need to remove all registry entries pertaining to liveupdate, leave a few and it will not work. Once the registry is clean, reboot and reinstall LU.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Uninstalled LiveUpdate.
Deleted all directories and files associated with LiveUpdate.
Removed all registry entries for LiveUpdate.
Rebooted system.
Reinstalled LiveUpdate.
Rebooted the system.
Ran LiveUpdate to get updates.

Same Problem!

The exact same problem I had with it. Eventually, it got so bad, I couldn't uninstall the program. Then when I ran the Norton Removal Tool and tried to install the program again, it kept failing. The idiots in tech support kept telling me to reinstall Liveupdate. That never worked. Don't waste your time with it. Get AVG.

NotSoLucky,

The next time you decide to go into the registry, make sure that you back up all of your important files first. If your system crashes and you have to reload everything, you will wish you had done this. Tech support will never tell you this. Also, make sure that you have your system restore disk handy. When I deleted the registry entries, I kept running into the problem you are having. So I started deleting other keys that contained the words "Norton", or "Symantec". It was a very bad idea, but I did it out of desperation because I couldn't get the program to reinstall after I finally removed it. I couldn't go without an antivirus program. I ultimately corrupted the system files and had to reformat the HD and reinstall the OS. Even after I did that, Norton Antivirus (I had 2006) would not re-install. However, AVG worked fine. Symantec Corporate Edition worked fine too, but it takes up more system resources than AVG. I didn't have much of a chance to try Avast Antivirus, but that is another free antivirus program that I have heard a lot of good things about. Try either of those programs, but make sure that you get that Norton junk off of your computer first. If you have 2 antivirus programs running at once, your system will slow down to a crawl. Just think about it. You'll be saving yourself the price you pay for Norton, plus any future renewal charges. If it is early enough, you can return the software you bought. Plus, you will be sparing yourself the hassle that I went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back