Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live Update in NAV2004 doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalamo

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
IL
I installed NAV2004 a couple of weeks ago. (I have WinXP with SP1.) The NAV scan worked, but anti-virus updates will not download. I have had an extensive e-mail correspondence with Symantec support in which they told me to do a number of things (delete "settings:liveupdate" files, turn off Microsoft XP Internet Connection Firewall, etc.). After nothing worked, they tell me to uninstall and reinstall NAV 2000.

The error message I usually get is "LU1844: Coupled groups aborted with no abort text". To me, this is meaningless, and Symantec support doesn't seem to know what it means, either.

I do not have very much confidence in Symantec support; from their answers to my e-mails, I get the impression that they don't know what's going on, and want to brush me off with one sentence answers and links to their data base which have little to do with the problem and are confusingly worded.

Has anyone out there seen similar problems? Is NAV2004 worthwhile reinstalling, or should I just forget about Norton (or try to get my money back?).

Did you have another antivirus program installed when you installed Norton? If you did you need to uninstall all antivirus programs at this time and all of Norton. Now install Norton again without other antivirus programs on the system. Run Live update and all should work. Note!!! when u uninstall Norton or other antivirus programs go through the "c" drive and remove folder with symantec name on it and other antivius programs names. Also clear all the files from you Temp folder. Now Install Norton fresh.

Blessing
Shawn

Shawn, thanks for your prompt answer.

But no, I didn't have any other antivirus program installed. I just go my new WIN XP machine a couple of months ago, and I figured it was time now to install antivurus on it. I had NAV on my previous WIN 98 machine, so I though I wouldn't have any problems. Not so.

I installed Norton AntiVirus 2004, Professional, on WinXP,SP1 as well.
After the initial LiveUpdate of virus definitions, the system will not download additional definitions. I keep getting the famous LU1821 error.
I also had extensive message traffic with Symantec Support and as with everybody else, they recommended to remove a great number of LiveUpdate files. Then download the LiveUpdate program lusetup.exe
I've did it three times and I still have the same problem. I decided to remove "everything" Symantec and reinstalled the purchased AntiVirus 2004. Of course, it worked ONCE, as it did the first time that I installed it.
By now, they should have a better solution than their boiler plate answer. This guys released a "buggy" version and are not doing anything for their customers.

"Why is the third hand on a watch called the second hand?"

Kinggeo, you're right! They released a buggy version.

I didn't feel like uninstalling all of Symantec on my PC, so I did something else:

I went to Download.com and I downloaded the latest Norton Anti-virus definitions update ("Norton AntiVirus Definitions Update (i32 Package) 1/26/2004') and opened it. This seems to work - at least the Anti-virus window says that the anti-virus definitions are up to date to the date I opened the download.

It shouldn't have to be done this way, and everybody should get McAfee or some other Anti-virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back