Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live Messages on an Avaya PBX - shell or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecomPA

MIS
Jul 9, 2007
US
hi, does anyone know where to go in an Avaya PBX or media server (S87xx or S88xx)to see live events as they're happening in the system?

i used to work on Nortel and when you login, you can see live messages all the time, whether it's an audit, the midnight routine, when a T-1 drops or re-establishes, etc.

but how do you see the same thing in Avaya systems? i've called Avaya support many times and they use the "go shell" command to look at some things but i don't know all the parameters.

if u know, what can i use and please advise what not to do as well bcos i can't break nor take anything down.

The shell commands for this type of monitoring are restricted to the "sroot" login which 99.999% of customers do not have access to.

The most common tools for live monitoring are "list trace" command run from the terminal emulator. You can also enable MST traces and then use the web interface to view the results of those traces (after the fact).

The MST is going to give you the most comprehensive info but it's not real time. You need to enable/disable the trace to view the trace log. Any testing you want to do will need to be done while the trace is active

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

thanks. kinda what i expected but if anyone else has input, please chime in.

linux CLI provides access to all types of log data.

logc -?
logw
logv

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

AvayaTier3 is on the spot. I forgot about the logs. You can check the logs for info too. Again you would be viewing logs and not real time streaming data .. but it's very close to RT.

With tail and other tools you could use the logs to piece together a picture of what you're trying to accomplish.

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

logw does tail
logv does vi
logc does cat

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

It sounds like you are after a mix of OS events and Media server events and by "live" it sounds like you want the screen to scroll as events occur. I dont think Avaya does that.

For media server events like phone, line, and gateway status change events use disp events and disp alarms in ASA or SAT.

For OS events and some Media Server events Web to the media server and log in. Select launch maintenance web interface. Select Diagnostics/System logs. Check off the logs you want to see and fill in the time frame.

For a more dynamic alert to problems you need to use monitor alarms and monitor trunks in ASA. You have to run that ASA on a PC that will be up all the time and when you remote to it dont log out or ASA will shut down. COnfigure the monitors to run on a schedule and email you when an event occurs.

logw spits out data in realtime. If you know where the log files are that hold information that your are looking for, you could also do "tail -f /var/log/ecs/commandhistory"
This output data in realtime as the file is written to.

Anything a browser can do, can be duplicated with a shell command. The difference is knowing the commands, where the data is stored, and having permissions to run the command and open the files.

bsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back