Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Little DIV scroll problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

salvatoredoria

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
IT
I have a web page ( some of my customers see tha scrollbar but not the text. They say they use IE. The bad thing is that I see the text and the bar. here is my code:
Code:
<div class="scroll" id="scrolldiv"         height="200px"     	width="300"  >
<P>
<span style="FONT-SIZE:9pt;  FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
some text 
</span>
</p>
</div>

and a the part of the style sheet
Code:
div.scroll {    
        height: 350px;
    	width: 615px;    
        overflow: auto;    
        padding: 20px;
	scrollbar-face-color: lightblue;
	scrollbar-shadow-color: blue;
	scrollbar-highlight-color: lightblue;
	scrollbar-3dlight-color: darkblue;
	scrollbar-darkshadow-color: darkblue;
	scrollbar-track-color: lightblue;
	scrollbar-arrow-color: black;
	filter: chroma (color=lightblue)
}
Any suggestions? thank you all.

I cannot experience the problem in my IE or duplicate the error with the given code. Sorry. Is the group of people that cannot see the text in some way connected (using the same version of IE, having their own stylesheets, etc.)

Thanks for your reply, today i'll meet some of those people, so i can ask them the exact configuration of OS and Browser.

Some news....

OS W98 (With Office XP ... oh my god)

Browser IE 5

Behavior:

1. When browsing to the above page the colors change from blue (original) to green (on the customer pc)

2. The DIV scrollbar is shown in grey

3. The text is shown with a kind of "transparent" color.

Any other suggestion?

Huh, IE5 for Win is a very old and buggy browser. You might want to inspect CSS filters to exclude some of your css from IE5.

Thank you for that helpfull link. You deserve a big STAR!!!
I made some changes in my stylesheet. Hope it works.

Thank you again. Greetings from Italy

If you need to support ancient browsers, I suggest you simplify your CSS. For example, what does this do?:
Code:
    filter: chroma (color=lightblue)
It only works in IE, but I can't see any difference between the end results on IE6 and FF. I know the chroma filter's something to do with transparency, so it could explain the behaviour you're seeing in IE5. If you don't need it - remove it.

IE5 is an old browser, but it usually does a reasonable job of rendering stuff like colours, font choices & sizes, backgrounds and borders. Just don't try too much clever stuff like floating and positioning without plenty of testing.

The code on your site seems to be a lot more complicated than it needs to be. You've got acres of script at the top of the page, and all it seems to do is apply an underline when you hover over an item (I know, cos it only works in IE). You can do that with a couple of lines of CSS. You should also look into how you can use classes and inheritance to avoid repeating the same CSS declarations over and over.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Dear Chris,
Thank you for your little "best practice lesson" ;-). I'm new to web design, and i have to end that project, because our web designer is ill. So i didn't think much about clean code.

Hope our web designer comes back soon, so that i can go on programming....

Your code test is worth a star.

Chris,
i needed "FILTER: chroma (color=lightblue);" to make the scrollbar transparent, but as you said before, in IE 5 the code applies also on the text.

Thank you a again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back