Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Little Blue UID Light on Front of Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I'm not sure if this question needs to go in this forum or the HP (Compaq) servers forum, but I'll start here.

I have some HP (Compaq) DL380 servers running RedHat AS3 Linux. These servers have a little blue light on the front and back that helps you locate it in the rack. I was wanting to know if there is any way to turn the light on or off from a command, utility, or script in Linux. Also, if there's a way to query it's status so a cron job could email me a notice if it's turned on.

From the manuals for the hardware, it looks like these can be turned off and on via the lights out management (LOM) interface, but we aren't using that. It would be much more convenient to toggle them on and off, or query their status from a script.

Nope, nope, and nope.
ilo only, afaik.

20 yrs old, working towards my CCNP. Looking for a new job :)

Yep, yep and yep, actually. :p

If you have the hp-health package installed, hpasmcli -s 'SET UID ON' (and of course 'OFF' to turn it off again) should do the trick.

Annihilannic.

Wow, thats actually awsome. Have a star!

20 yrs old, working towards my CCNP. Looking for a new job :)

Oh You Rock Anni! I'd give you a hand full of stars if I could! Thanks!

I'm going to make a whole row of servers spell out your name in a dancing light show of blue UID lights! Thanks again!

ROFL! You're welcome. :)

Now that would make an interesting youtube video! "Scrolling UID LED Text Server Cluster"... or perhaps "Most expensive scrolling text display ever assembled!"

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back