Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Literature, compilers, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvh75021

Programmer
May 23, 2009
US
Greetings,

Just been informed that I will be implementing an SNMP agent on an embedded PowerPC running Nucleus OS. My current knowledge level is nearly nil, so far I know that managers, agents, and MIBs (the Mib?) are involved.

Could you recommend some reading material. I have found a few articles on the web, many seem quite dated (maybe because it is now stable), and though I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, what I see so far seems confusing and contradictory. Read a bit of "Understanding SNMP MIBs" by Perkins and McGinnis and decided I needed the SNMP and MIBS for Dummies version. Have ordered "Essential SNMP" by Mauro Schmidt and "SNMP MIB Handbook" by Larry Walsh. Could you recommend anything web articles for the meantime (other than RFCs)?

Also I will need a MIB compiler that can run on a Windows host. My employer will purchase one but I am currently in no position to make a recommendation. My manager dislikes freeware but I would gladly start with freeware, shareware, or an evaluation compiler to gain some experience and understanding.

Best Regards,

jh

Some questions:

1. What software did your manager buy?

2. Are you implementing SNMPv3 or just v1/v2c?

If you are using net-snmp for your agent I think they have some documentation, otherwise contact the vendor of the agent and see if they can get you started.

Bill

Thanks for responding Bill, sorry I didn't see your reply sooner; mail filter caught the notification...

The software we currently have is the Nucleus operating system and its agent package. They have a compiler of sorts but it takes a '.defs' file as input. The .defs files are the output of a MOSY type compiler. Have not been able to find a MOSY type compiler.

We will be using SMIv2 with SNMPv3.

Normally MOSY(i think this is public domain) creates the def files. From the def files a different compiler would generate code(most likely C code with Nuclues).

If it is their agent Nucleus should have some tool that takes the .def into C-code.

Sorry not much more help,

Bill

Look into this link.

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |
+----------------------------+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back