Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Literally is no longer Literally 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Dictionaries change: This is literally the end of the English language

Given that the cited definition is self-referential, what does that really do to the definition?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

KozarTech said:
You know your in trouble when society has to change it self so the people who cant use words correctly don't feel "left out".

Sadly I agree; have a star for pointing that out.

Sam

KozarTech said:
You know your in trouble when society has to change it self so the people who cant use words correctly don't feel "left out".

Bearing in mind JohnHerman's signature block in this very forum:

JohnHerman Signature Block said:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Is this the same G.B. Shaw?
Shaw admired not just Stalin, but Mussolini and even Hitler.[24] He despised freedom, writing, "Mussolini... Hitler and the rest can all depend on me to judge them by their ability to deliver the goods and not by... comfortable notions of freedom."[25]

You might be happy to hear (or not) that the English language is not the only one deteriorating due to the 'no dummy left behind" policies of our times.
German (I know that one for sure) has scrapped the sharp S (ß) like in Straße (now Strasse) because it was only used for some but not all words and people (some) could not remember which ones.
The solution was again to take the dumbest person and see how they can accommodate them and they made the ß disappear and replaced it wit ss.
This seems to be a phenomenon in the western world to make all bend by some minorities request or needs, not only in the language though.
So much for democracy ("rule of the people") where the majority dictates the happenings. Depressing at times.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

Westi,

good point, but the ß is not totally gone from German. What puzzles me most is, it is removed in the perhaps most famous word containing ß, the daß. Now it's dass.

But the ß ligature is still in use, see here: And Straße is a bad example, as it's still written with ß.

The overall phenomenon is true nevertheless. Germany had an orthography reform in 1996, which went into force in 1998 and a final revision is in force since 2006. See
And the overall reasoning was to not leave 'dummmies' behind, true. Some even say Germany wanted to get a better rank in the Pisa evaluation of international school systems.

Bye, Olaf.

I have not been in Germany since 2000 and had to rely on my parents information, which was apparently incomplete.

for some reason I think the old way was easier but that is probably because I grew up with it. I feel for the teachers that have to adapt to this and teach it properly to the new students and correct the students that had studied it 'wrong" for the last years.

I think I stay with English in written form and just speak the German as you can't hear the difference :)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”

BTW.... everything has been shortened by texting... dbl + good new speak CU L8r~~!!~~ Just trying out the new speak taught by our Gov't "Department of Education".... and remembering what a good year 1984 was... [hourglass]

Think twice, speak once~~!!~~

<Why is the English language changing to accommodate the lowest common denominator

Television

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back