Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

liteon cdrw can't be detected in bios 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roychoco

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
PH
hi i bought a lite on burner 48x24x48, when i got home, i tried to install it in my computer. my computer is a PIII 650 mhz computer in a pc partner mobo, via chipset. i laready had a cdrom, so i set the cdrw jumper to master, and the cdrom to slave, the problem is when i boot up the computer just sits there trying to recognize the cdrw, i would have thought it was a cable problem, but the same cable recognized the cd rom, a removed the cdrom and tried booting with only the cdrw, te same problem happened. the next day to test if the cdrw drive is the problem, i tried istalling the cdrw in one of our office computers and the computer recognized it (PIII 500 mz with via chipset)

does anybody hve any sugestions please?
thanks

have you tried removeing the jumper totally then booting it as the sole drive in the computer? ive seen hard drives and cdroms alike that wont work with certain computers unless they are jumperless and the sole drive for that ide port

hi cybersmoke,

thank you for the suggestion, i tried it yesterda bt alas, it did not work. in my desperatio i mucked around with the bios configuration, i tried to manually select the cdrom, i don't know what happened but when i boot up, the bios seems to skip the auto detection of the cdrw, it still autodetected the hardrives and the cdrom though. But since it skipped the autodetecyion of the cdrw, it was able to boot into windows and it worked. tried it yesterday and was able to burn files to a cd.

i don't know what happened, but i an just grateful that it works, if youhve any ideas why it works, i would like to know why.
thhanks again

ty for the star,
as to why.. i have no idea i have a 52x sony cdrom that doesnt show up in the bios but works fine in windows aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back