Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lite On 16X DVD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah1310

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
US
I bought this burner right after Christmas and had great success with it BUT about 3 weeks ago my 9 yr old son loaded up a very old educational game (to be used on Win95) to our computer and my DVD burner and CD burner both completely disappeared from my computer... They are both still connected to the motherboard but when I go into Device Mgr there is a little red x beside each of them... The properties say that there aren't any drivers available for the devices... I have tried using the Win2000 disc to get them back but that hasn't worked... Should I disconnect them from the motherboard and the do the whole shut down thing a few times then reattach them as if they were brand new? HELP!!! completely frustrated and my husband is ready to strangle me as I have not found a solution yet...
Many thanks in advance...
Renee'

Disconnecting it ( just taking out the power cable and IDE) and rebooting it and then plugging it back in would certainly be a step you should first try.

See what the says. I personally wouldn't think that an old CD game should have destroyed the drive - myabe it was scartch badly and the Drive overheated for some strange reason. I personally doubt it. Maybe the drive just went bad.

The driver for the unit should just be a standard driver - rather sound like a hardware failure

Mike

Sorry just wanted to clarify - plug the drive back in when power is off obviuosly - but no need to take the drive completely out.

Mike

the computer is brand new as of jan 05... so i would certainly hope that the would be destroyed for any reason... I will try the disconnected and see if that works... thanks a bunch!!!

the computer is brand new as of jan 05... so i would certainly hope that the drve would be destroyed for any reason... I will try the disconnected and see if that works... thanks a bunch!!!

Well if it is new - at least it's still under warranty :)
How did the disconnect do?

Mike

warranty isn't a factor... my bro-in-law built the computer for us (we purchased the pieces)... i haven't gotten around to doing the disconnect yet... will prob do it tonight... so the only thing i have to do is turn the computer off, remove the side, pull the plug off the motherboard, restart computer once maybe twice, then shut down, plug it back in and restart again? i'll wait for your reply before proceeding... lol

Renee'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back