Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lists in Access Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYarn

MIS
Jul 20, 1999
US
I have an access report which lists all of the staff in a particular group including their supervisors. I would like to prepare ONE report which starts by listing JUST the supervisors in ALPHA order and then continues listing JUST the staff in Alpha order. I can get the staff lsited as well as get the staff listed WITH their respective supervisors, but I can't seem to group the SUpers at the beginning BEFORE their staff

Ideas?? THANKS!

Does your table have a field that identifies "Super" and "employee", etc.?

Instead of using one report, try using a Main report with two Subreports. Set the subreports' criteria to display ONLY supervisors and ONLY staff respectively.

HTH
Lightning

The report uses two linked tables. The names of the "Super" and "employee" come out of (the same table) one of the tables and are then identified in separate fields. The ideal report whould then look like:

Top of report would be(in alpha order):

super1 etc
super2 etc
super2 etc

After that it would continue (in alpha order)
staff1 etc
staff2 etc

What is the purpose of the second table? What types of data are contained in each of the tables? You might consider Lightning's suggestion. That would probably be the easiest thing to do.

One table is data extracted from a mainframe and contains data related to the staff members job assignments (like their employee #,who their customers are, account numbers, etc. The second table was created and populated in access and has more detailed staff info and no customer info. Among other things, linking the two allows me to display info in reports that are otherwise impossible

Is your report pulling data directly from the tables or are you using a query? I still think the main report/subreport idea.

I'm going to try the subreports, but if there are other options/opinions.......?

The reports pull from queries which among other things, filter out staff by division so I can produce separate reports for each division

THANKS!

Maybe try a columnar report? I've never used one of those, but it may be useful in a situation like yours.

I'm assuming that the two tables have a one-to-many relationship? How are the supervisors and the employees differentiated from each other? I have an Employees table in which I use a Yes/No type field to differentiate them. You could then use that field in your queries for the subreports and specify "yes" in the criteria for the supervisors and "no" in the criteria for the employees.

Here's a thought:

What if you added 1 more field to your query and sorted by it then by name. For example, if the person represents a supervisor, they are assigned number 1. If the persons represents staff, they are assigned numer 2. Then you sort by number and then name.

SELECT IIf([ysnSupervisor],1,2) AS SortField, strName
FROM Table2
ORDER BY IIf([ysnSupervisor],1,2), strName;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back