Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ListQualify and IN clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgroove

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
US
I am using CF5 and oracle 7.3.4 and I am trying to create a query with an IN clause in it. I have done this many times using the same technique but now it is causing me great pain. Here is my code:
Code:
<cfset session.Event.selTrainerID=ListQualify(session.Event.selTrainerID,&quot;'&quot;)>
<cfoutput>#session.Event.selTrainerID#</cfoutput>

<CFQUERY NAME=&quot;qTrainer&quot;>
	select FirstName,LastName
	from trainer 
	where userid in (#session.Event.selTrainerID#)
</CFQUERY>

I get the following error:

[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

SQL = &quot;select FirstName,LastName from trainer where userid in (''000F37C2-4888-1C6D-835B8309797D0000'',''000D7F31-3B55-1C6D-835B8309797D0000'')&quot;

when I do an output on the selTrainerID right before I run the query, it only shows one singlequote around each value...but in the error it shows that there are two single quotes around each value. Any ideas??

Have you tried putting a space in there?

from trainer
where userid in ( #session.Event.selTrainerID# )
</CFQUERY>

I know it seems simple but sometimes that causes problems, othertimes no.

tlhawkins,

thanks for the idea, but it didn't work. Maybe you can help me out with another solution. Here is what I am trying to do. I have a select form field where you can select more than one option. I need to be able to find all of the &quot;trainers&quot; from the db based on the multiple selections. The in clause works great but doesn't work (yet). Although, in production, at most there might be 3 or 4 trainers. It must be able to deal with 1000 if they so choose. I have implemented it with looping over each id possibly executing 1000 queries, but this is not sexy nor effcient. This thing has been bothering me so much I can't think of anything else. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jgroove

I have a reply to your original question. This isn't very elegant, but it should work.

from trainer
where
<cfloop list=&quot;#session.Event.selTrainerID#&quot; item=&quot;i&quot;>
userid = '#i#' or

</cfloop>
1 = 1
</CFQUERY>

Oh. OK.

A select field returns a list of all selected fields comma delimited like this : 2,5,10,8 where those are the values set by the Select.

So you should be able to output that field directly into the Query because Queries like comma delimited lists. So try:

from trainer
where userid in ( #Form.SelectFieldName# )
</CFQUERY>

That works for me everytime...
Have fun.

You may want to consider making your ID's numeric. This problem with the quotes in the IN clause when you pass it a list does not exist for lists of numeric data.

Alternatively, another option is to use a stored procedure to parse your list rather than attempting to do it with ColdFusion in the CFQuery tag.

Have you tried using the PreserveSingleQuotes function?

e.g
where userid in ( #PreserveSingleQuotes(session.Event.selTrainerID)# )

HTH,
Tim P.

Use the CF function PreserveSingleQuotes():

where userid in (#PreserveSingleQuotes(session.Event.selTrainerID)#)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back