Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Listing Weaknesses 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I am currently interviewing and haven't in over 10 years. They ask me my strengths as well as my weaknesses.
What should I say or not say to this? Is there something safe to say that probably could not be held against me? I'm clueless.
I assume they want industry related weaknesses? Is this a correct assumption?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

You're in a job interview -- like in a Miranda warning, anything you say can be used against you.

Take an honest look at yourself, and try as objectively as possible to evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses. Be as honest as you can be.

For most people, finding the strenghts is easy. Just make sure you list things that are as concrete as possible. If your answer is too nebulous, it might appear that you're talking out of your hat.

Most people find listing weaknesses much harder, because they know they need to list something real, but not something that will disqualify them from consideration. List an honest weakness, but in the same sentence tell your interviewer what steps you have taken to correct that weakness.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

The usual weakness is time management, you tell them you have a tendency to work on the project in front of you rather than prioritising as well as you should. it doesn't disqualify you, it's a weakness and it's sometihng they don't have to pay for to get fixed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ~ Nietzsche"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree with the time management idea, but would suggest never leaving it as a negative:

"My greatest weakness has been to overcommit myself and then not be able to accomplish everything as I'd like. But, I'm now keeping a planning calendar to keep track of my appointments and "to do" items to help better manage my time."

Something like that to put a positive spin on, you see?

Good luck.

< M!ke >
[small]Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.[/small]

Or list a weakness they would consider a strength.

The weakness question is a game, you are never supposed to list genuine weaknesses that are of real concern to an employer. It's a stupid question because it encourages people to lie (or at least misdirect) and the most honest people (who genuinely thoughtfully list their real weaknesses) are often eliminated from consideration.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

It reminds me of a Dilbert strip I once saw....

Interviewer - "Please tell me your weaknesses."
Dilbert - "I sometimes work too much." (thinks to self "Hehe.... good one!")
Interviewer - "And can you go into detail about why that is a weakness?"
Dilbert - "Ummm... sometimes I work so much, I forget to bathe..."

[rofl]

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I always use boredom, and then tell them how creative & productive I can be when bored.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

I tell them I don't have any weakness and that's why they should hire me.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I'd be careful of that one! If I was interviewing you & it was a close call between you & another candidate that answer would probably make me favour the opposition! Everyone has weaknesses, as I see it the point is how you deal with them.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

I tend to answer that question by saying that my weaknesses really manifest themselves by my working in the wrong environment e.g. working in production, as my strengths lend themselves to something more creative e.g. business development. I guess I'm trying to get them to see that the job I'm applying for is the one that uses my strengths rather than my weaknesses.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

All good stuff as usual.
I think I may have blown an employment oppurtunity based on my response to this question.

The where do I see myself in 5 years kills me too. I kind of play that one by ear. If the interviewers are cutting up and seemed layed back I usually respond with being a BassMasters champion fishing for a living, but if thant doesn't pan out, then working here with you. But usually it is something along the lines of migrating from my more technical position to a management position.

PS. I hate interviewing, as I suck at it but not at what I do..

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Personally, I try to reign in my deviant personality until AFTER I get the gig, so I try to keep the kidding around to a minimum. ;-)

That said, with the "5-year plan" question, I usually respond with something about

*) tailoring my strategic and client relations skills to the position
* )intending to be a leading subject matter expert in (line of business)
*) helping shape the strategic direction of (department)
*) continuing to contribute my skills and abilities to (XYZ company)

< M!ke >
[small]Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.[/small]

One time when I was the interviewer and the interview panel asked the 5 year question, the guy responded: "I want to be your boss." He, of course, did not get hired.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Oops, that should have been "rein" instead of "reign!" Hope the MAI police aren't watching!

[red][small]I don't know, Dr. Freud; what do YOU make of that?[/small][/red]

< M!ke >

asked the 5 year question, I answer (Retired)

And really I don't have any weakness unless you count my spelling.

PS: if you don't beleive me , just ask me and I'll tell you.

I think the questions about listing your weaknesses and where you want to be in 5 years are more of a way to test social skills and preparation than anything else. No one would really be honest and start listing off short comings if they want the job. Part of the interview process is to see if you as a person would fit into the work environment and communicate with others. While interviewing you should have already memorized the answers to all these interview questions, know some facts about the company your trying to work for and also have some questions for the interviewer. Anything short and you will look unprepared, and who really wants to hire someone that hasn't taken the time to prepare for an interview?

The "What-are-your-weaknesses?" responses that have worked in my favour have been:
Upside Weaknesses said:
[ul][li]Others have criticised or cited my orientation toward detail.[/li][li]I tend to be a Perfectionist, but when constrained by time or budget, I have learned to accept "excellent" when "perfect" is unreasonable.[/li][li]Team members tend to disparage my "work-aholism" when a project requires more than an 8-to-5 time commitment.[/li][/ul]
How will those weaknesses work for you?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

...And per the "Where-do-you-see-yourself-in-five-years?" question, my response has been:
In five years, I want to look back on the previous five years and be able to say:[ul][li]I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent with my co-workers in meeting the organisation's needs.[/li][li]I have significantly advanced my knowledge and skills professionally.[/li][li]I have learned much about great leadership from my manager(s).[/li][li]I appreciate the opportunities for advancement that I have received at my organisation.[/li][li]I am grateful for the respect I have earned, and that my organisation shows me, for the work I have done.[/li][li]My wife still loves me, and my kids think I'm a great dad.[/li][li]My cardiologist says that I have the heart and constitution of an 18-year-old and I still have another 50 good years left in me.[/li][/ul]
Remember, much truth is spoken in jest. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back