Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Listing Physical Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jriordan

MIS
Sep 9, 2002
US
Hi All,

Was looking for a command to list hard disks and disk information. Such as "total space, free space, allocated etc.".

Thanks In advance!
John

If you use "df -k" it will list your disks information (partition/number of blocks assigned (in Kb)/number of blocks used (in Kb)/number of blocks available (in Kb)/Percent used/ and mountpoint. Example:

$ df -k
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 127807 51145 63882 45% /

That should give you all the information you are looking for. Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Hi d3funct, and thanks for responding

My fault, for not writing my question correctly. In AIX is there is a command "lspv" and "lspv hdisk#" That will just give information on the disk. What I was looking for, or what I can't tell from the "df" command is what disk the file systems are on and how much space is left on the physical disk. Was not sure if there was something similar. The "lspv hdisk#" command gives the following output:

PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk0 VOLUME GROUP: datavol
PV IDENTIFIER: 009620957a382794 VG IDENTIFIER 000f4bbf00004c00000000ee0394ca43
PV STATE: active
STALE PARTITIONS: 0 ALLOCATABLE: yes
PP SIZE: 64 megabyte(s) LOGICAL VOLUMES: 6
TOTAL PPs: 271 (17344 megabytes) VG DESCRIPTORS: 2
FREE PPs: 102 (6528 megabytes) HOT SPARE: no
USED PPs: 169 (10816 megabytes)
FREE DISTRIBUTION: 31..00..00..17..54
USED DISTRIBUTION: 24..54..54..37..00

When I log on to one of our Sun servers I have no idea how many disks etc. there are.
Again, thanks for your help, and sorry about not being clear.
John

Then you might try looking at the manpage for the 'devinfo' command. You can go to for documentation on your specific version of Solaris, it also has manpages listed alphabetically. Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Hi,
And thanks
Before I posted the question I did an "apropos" on "disk" and a couple of other things on the server I needed to check and did not see anything. I did not think of looking for "dev". Thanks for the tip on the "doc/sun.com" site, I will check it out. That should help.

Thanks again
John

GO back to AIX ! I can't believe now good it was when I was at a IBM AIX shop! Solaris is not as easy to manage. The Solaris allocates file systems is so out dated, I feel like I am back in the old DOS days. It was so nice on AIX to be able to have any number of file systems on a single hard drive and then to expand them to other drives on the fly.

Also the mirroring process is built into the kernel so root can be mirrored must easyer than with disk suite.

I wish we had AIX here!

Ha ha good one.. Not to worry, I was asked to get some info off a Sun server, I still administer 6 RS/6000 and three are running AIX 5.1... IT's great! Hope you can return to the world of AIX soon.
Thanks
John

Yeah eskolnik, sorry to hear it. I'm doing AIX storage administration and get to work daily with the LVM on AIX 5.1L, etc.. Sorry to hear of your primitive surrondings. Have a great weekend. Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

for your disk info(if you did not get it)
use prtvtoc or the inquery command inside format.

man format
on OK prompt: probe-scsi-all vox clamantis in deserto.

Hi

Are there any performance/capacity plaaning tools like "ncp" for memory analysis and planning for Aix 5L?!!.

Thanks

Sreedca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back