Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

listing one field or another but not both

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

Technical User
Apr 7, 2001
US
I have an organizational alumni report that I am having troubles with. The information will be printed on a brochure which has limited space. My database has home & work phone numbers. On the report I would like their work phone listed but if they don't have a work phone, I want their home phone listed. I don't want both listed. I set the visible option to "No" for home phone. I don't know much about SQL or visual basic but I have been reading a lot. Here is my vb if statement

' Print Home_Phone only if Work_Phone field is empty
If IsNull(Work_Phone) Then
Home_Phone.Visible
End If

I thought my vb statement would override the visible No setting for home phone if my criteria was met but it doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA

If this is in a report you could use the IIf function,

e.g.

IIf(isnull([Work_Phone]), [Home_Phone], [Work_Phone])

in the Control Source property.

This shows the [Home_Phone] data in the text box if [Work_Phone] is null, but the [Work_Phone] data otherwise.
Have fun! :eek:)

Alex Middleton

Sorry, that should have been

=IIf(isnull([Work_Phone]), [Home_Phone], [Work_Phone])

Have fun! :eek:)

Alex Middleton

Thanks Alex!!

It works but has created another problem which I will post on a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back