Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Listener issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dps

Programmer
Feb 2, 2001
GB
Hello I have just installed Oracle 8i client administrator option and then installed designer 6i.

Having created an instance and a listener I get TNS: No Listener upon testing the database.

The machine is a stand-alone windows 95.

How can I resolve this issue, what are the steps required?

Would I have been better off just installing desiner first and testing the dbase connection?

I have tried to locate info on this but cannot seem to find a resolution.

Have you modified the tnsnames.ora file to add the entry pointing to the listener.

I do not know what you mean.

I have assured that both my tnsnames and listner have the service name and that listner.ora has the oracle home path (under listener_sid_lists) and also connect_data value.

This is similar to a problem I had on win98. If you press CTRL/ALT/DEL does it show the listener is running eg tnslsnr displayed?
If not get a DOS box then type "lsnrctl start" to start your listener assuming you have setup a service then the test should be ok. This command also has several other useful options and displays useful messages about your listener.

I could not find the lsnrctl utility at all - may be it is beacsue I was supposed to have installed the server verion not the client.

I have since deinstalled all of designer and 8i and currently looking at other avenues.. Download of designer 6i has led to failuer four times round as the download window shows 2 seconds remaning even though I left the machine running overnight!!!!! Same with Dev6i - both from Oracle Corp. (ps Personal Oracle I have learnt is ok though).

I have not since been able to get hold of the cd for designer and Oracle 8i for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back