Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ListBox selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyLu

Programmer
May 31, 2001
US
I have two listbox on one page to let user make selection from one to the other. Could you tell me how to make those buttons &quot;<&quot;, &quot;>&quot;, &quot;<<&quot;, &quot;>>&quot; working? Thanks.

So how do you get the values that are listed in &quot;list2&quot;. Request.form(&quot;list2&quot;) will not return the values in the list box.

No, you would use:

document.form.list.options[document.form.list.selectedIndex].value

will return the &quot;value&quot;

document.form.list.options[document.form.list.selectedIndex].text
will return the text(value as we call it)

ie. <option value=&quot;12&quot;>Alabama</option>

.value will return 12
.text will return Alabama

Hope it'll help ;-) Have Fun...

Sharky99 >:):O>

Yes, I understand the differences between the &quot;value&quot; and &quot;text&quot; property, but with the example you gave with the two list boxes (list1 and list2), when the &quot;submit&quot; button is clicked, how do I read the &quot;values&quot; that I've moved over to the right list (list2)? How are the multiple &quot;values&quot; posted from that list box?

I think the easiest way would be to make a hidden field with an, initially, empty value. Then as you move items from list 1 to list 2, simply append them to the field with a simple comma or semicolon to delimit the entries. This hidden field could then be returned with the submit and processed at the server side.

Griff

Hi, sorry for now i only had time to add this(in red)

for(c = 0; c < arrFbox.length; c++) {
var no = new Option();
no.value = arrLookup[arrFbox[c]];
no.text = arrFbox[c];
no.selected = true;
fbox[c] = no;
}
for(c = 0; c < arrTbox.length; c++) {
var no = new Option();
no.value = arrLookup[arrTbox[c]];
no.text = arrTbox[c];
no.selected = true;
tbox[c] = no;
}

I'll figure out something later tonight or tomorrow.
(working on a project right now)

Sorry but for now it's the best i can do...

Hope it'll help ;-) Have Fun...

Sharky99 >:):O>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back