Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

List items from 2 tables together, consecutively

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorirobn

MIS
Mar 15, 2005
US
Hi,

Can this be done on an Access form:

List all rows from a table, then list all rows from another table that has the same format, using the same controls. I basically want to combine data from two tables (not 'join') onto one form.

The explanation:
I have 2 tables of Inventory Items. One table has miscellaneous items, the other has only Bathroom Items. This may end up being a db design topic, but I split the tables into 2 in anticipation that having one table would exceed size limits. So I want to have a form that displays all items from both tables. Then when the user enter Items on the form, based on what category he enters, add the item to either the Misc. table or the Bathroom table.

Is this do-able? Overly complicated? I am trying to have the split of the tables be behind the scenes, so user doesn't have to 'add bathroom items' or 'add miscellaneous items'.

Thanks in advance.

Splitting the table does not help you avoid any size limits.
So put the items back into the same table and make life easy.

How are ya lorirobn . . .

Are you really expecting to have at least [blue]1 gigabyte[/blue] of data per table?
lorirobn said:
[blue]Can this be done on an Access form:

List all rows from a table, then list all rows from another table that has the same format, using the same controls.[/blue]
Why not [blue]two subforms[/blue]? This would enable you to [blue]view both tables independently at will![/blue]

[purple]Your Thoughts? . . .[/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Thank you both!
I guess size is really not an issue, then, if a table can be up to 1G, and 2 tables doesn't avoid size limits.
Then I can go back to having all items on one table...phew... much simpler.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back