Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

List consolidation with multiple data sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

O2BNSV

Technical User
Jun 29, 2006
US
Using v2008, how can I link to identical excel sheets (in terms of available fields) in such a way as to only return data that is present in one sheet, but not the other? I ran a mail merge list out of my database, merged the letters, etc. Then our volunteer coordinator said a lot of names were missing from the static list she has been keeping on her own for years. I would like to cross reference the two lists so that I can spit out a mail merge list of names that are in her list, but are not in mine. Please advise. Thanks.

Use a left join from the sheet containing all names (table1) to the one containing only some (table2). Then use a record selection formula of:

isnull({table2.field})

-LB

This didn't work. I ended up consolidating the two excel sheets into one and added a column called source which contained a value of either List 1 or List 2. I then grouped on the field I was originally trying to link with and put the {table.source} in the detail. I added a group selection formula where the count of {table.source} was equal to 1 and the {table.source} was equal to "List 2". Worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back