Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken07734

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
US
Genereal question: I would like to install Linux in my virtual PC in Vista. where would I get Linux (red hat) I believe and is it free?

You can get CentOS (which is built from the Red Had sources) here, however, it won't run under VirtualPC. You'll need Virtual Server, VMware or similar.

Fedora is also a red hat based distro. Can I ask why you are choosing RH? Not that there's anything wrong with it. I've just found that Ubuntu or Kubuntu are simpler first-time distros.

Mark

Red Hat is whats displayed the systems that I work on. I want to make sure I am becoming familiar with the right keywords and command set.

I downloaded the ISO images of linux and cannot get the ISO to burn right on to a cd.

That's fine. /sbin is not in your path by default, so some programs may not appear to be there if you try to run "fdisk -l". You need to use "/sbin/fdisk -l". Or add sbin to your path.

What distro did you end up downloading? Can you list the filenames? What are you burning with (K3B, Nero, etc)? Do the md5 checksums match?

Mark

I should have looked at my sw....I have nero and roxio. I am currently burning the centOS 5 to a set of 8 disks.

Great!, I got it to start installing and then find out I need a 32 bit version.

I installed the OS on a spare drive and I really cannot evaluate this OS without the proper drivers to get it to work with my hardware. Ilooked and could not find anything for Linux.

There are a number of CD-ROM runnable distributions that are "try-me" versions... they don't need to be installed on a hard drive and yet can give you a very full linux experience.

Knoppix is the traditional leader in the "try me" linux CDroms... maybe some other distributions have published such and someone in this forum can give you further suggestions.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

What is 'your hardware'? linux will work with most hardware if it is not 'bleeding edge' Are you trying CentOs? You might DL and try Knoppix first.

The answer is "42"

BTW, I should have said the phrase "live distro" instead of try-me... you'll get better google hits looking for the phrase "linux live distro"

Ubuntu and its derivatives are also live distros you could try.

What hardware is failing? Typically the problem I see most is with video cards. Try Ubuntu. It has worked for all ATI and NVidia cards I've used. There are special kernel modules for each and Ubuntu imports them during install.

It may not be the silver bullet, but of the distros I've used, it seems to be the easiest. Here's a list of what I use/used...
Red Hat 7.3, 8, AS3, AS4
Fedora (several versions)
Cent OS 5
Mandrake (my first distro - 6.1) used it through 10
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu since v5
SuSe (on iSeries)
Knoppix
DSL
FreeBSD (not exactly Linux, but has a similar feel)
Gentoo
Xandros - for about 15 minutes!

There have been others, but these are worth mentioning. The trick is find what you're most comfortable with. Most distros are similar at the core, it's the fluff (GUI tools) that differ. Try 'em all, most are free to download.
Mark

Great!, I'll try some of these and see where it takes me.

Thanks everyone....

Let's be just a little careful about Kozusnik's list... that was a list of distributions and VERSIONS that he has TRIED to reach a conclusion about Ubuntu...

PLEASE don't start your experimentation with the *BSD family, it'll break your heart.

Also please note that RedHat versions 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x are way beyond old... excellent reference points for Kozusnik to demonstrate a breadth of experience, but please don't be tempted into loading them.

Also, DSL is Damn Small Linux which is generally regarded as a special purpose distribution. Optimized for small size/footprint and often used for specific tasks like a router or firewall.

Maybe I'm being over cautious... what I didn't want you to do was to start uncorking a number of really old or "unsuitable for newbs" distros and decide you don't like linux.

I second the recommendation to start on Ubuntu or Fedora.

Thank you thedaver. I apologize for the extensive list.

As for the intent, you are correct, I was simply suggesting that Ubuntu was the easiest distro to start with. I know Fedora is very popular and well kept, but I never got comfortable with it. I see they now have a Live option. Must be new with FC 9.

Mark

Is anyone running Linux on MS Virtual PC?
I tried using Fedora on Virtual PC and as soon as X Windows came up the screen was all jumbled up. I read some posts online that said Virtual PC doesn't support the right video format for X Windows...

VMWare Server works fine though, and it's also free.

I'm running Fedora 8 (installed in VMware from a LiveDVD) guest on XP Pro SP3 host with no problems. Initially I installed the free VMware Player. Installing VMware tools is a must if you want to run at your native display using a virtual svga graphic card. Currently there is no 3D support so no drivers to install.

I've upgraded to VMware Workstation 6 as it lets you build your own virtual machine (OS).

An easy place to start is with VMware player, a LiveCD/DVD, or install CD/DVD, of your choice in .iso format, or burnt to CD/DVD and then go to where you can create your virtual machine - a few kb download that has all the settings you need.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back