Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux & windows 98 on same box problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zawsaw

Technical User
Jan 25, 2000
US
Visit site
I have been trying to install Linux on my windows 98 box for a while now, i am continuously running into the problem where LILO doesn't load properly. I've installed LILO every way possible during installation installing it on the MBR and the first sector of the boot partition i've tried enabling linear mode with no results. I've also tried installing LILO after Mandrake was installed with no success. All my partitions are primary and the windows 98 one is at the beginning of the hard drive. I've read that if your hard drive uses LBA then some special commands need to be passed to LILO during installation, any suggesstions would be helpful. Linux distribution is MAndrake 6.1.

Will lilo prompt you to what os you want to run?<br>
or is it currupt? ie only getting;<br>
<br>
li<br>
<br>
instead of;<br>
<br>
lilo<br>
<br>
How many partitions are on your drive and where is your installition?<br>
<br>
You should have win98 on first partition then linux part, then swap, so in your lilo.conf <br>
<br>
win98 will be hda1 and linux will be hda5 swap being hda6<br>
that is if your using ide and not scsi! <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones_uk@yahoo.com>sijones_uk@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br><b>God</b> am good!!! and good lookin :)

By the way if you need to reset your MBR then boot from 98 cd or floppy and use this command.<br>
<br>
fdisk /mbr<br>
<br>
this will reset your MBR to at least boot win98 instead of repartitioning and losing all your data again! <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones_uk@yahoo.com>sijones_uk@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br><b>God</b> am good!!! and good lookin :)

I think the fact that it's showing &quot;li&quot; is an indication of how far into the boot process things are going. I'm probably way out here, but if memory serves, &quot;li&quot; means it can't find the boot image to load. (If it's not that, it definitely indicates something! :)<br>
<br>
Any chance you could copy and paste your /etc/lilo.conf into a thread posting? If possible, a copy and paste of the partition display from linux fdisk might also help, cos we can see the partition layouts. (I think the command to display the partitions in linux fdisk is &quot;p&quot;.)

I have win98 and linux on the same box, so i will put my lilo.conf on here as soon as i can. I am shaw that when lilo loads, and you only get li as the prompt it means the boot sector is currupt?.<br>
<br>
See ya's soon <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones_uk@yahoo.com>sijones_uk@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br><b>God</b> am good!!! and good lookin :)

If you only get LI when you boot the first stage loader loaded the second stage loader but couldn't execute it. ( Thats right out of the book!) The most common cause is a geometry mismatch caused by moving one of the files LILO needs. (The book says boot.b but I have had the same problem when I moved the kernel.) <br>
<br>
LILO runs before the kernel so it doesn't understand inodes or FAT tables. It just has a physical address on the disk to access a file. Copying or editing one of the files will change this address. <br>
<br>
If you always run LILO after you have done any editing you shouldn't have this problem. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have both <i>Windows 98</i> and <i>Linux-Mandrake</i>.&nbsp;&nbsp;My bios has a built in Virus detecter, it claims Lilo is a virus. I just press continue booting.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is their a way around this?

Go into your bios and disable the virus detection. There are lots of other programs who can do the same thing without those annoying messages. <p>John 'RuffNeck' Willemse<br><a href=mailto:ruffneck@ruthless.nl.com>ruffneck@ruthless.nl.com</a><br><a href= my homepage...</a><br>These pages change every week or so ;) Some useless C++<br>
programs and ideas I never work out can be found from time<br>
to time...

I use an after market boot loader. System Commander. it is about $40.00, but solves a lot of issues related to dual booting. It allows you to see and partion the drives as well. Another added benifit to this is that it allows you to boot across different physical drives. I personally have found it to be well worth its price.

There's a free partition manager called Ranish, although I've not used it, I hear it's pretty good.&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

This is not really a reply for anything on this thread but a comment. <br><br>Oh, boy!<br>I always heard people using 3-rd party software for booting just 2 or 3 operating systems from the hard drive, repartition software etc. This a way of solving things that eventually will cause you problems. If you don't mind re-installing 2-3 operating systems every month or loosing data, I guess it's ok. <br><br>In the last years I've been using 2 or 3 OS-es on my HDD with no problem. In the Linux Howto you'll gonna find out how to use the Win9x+WINNT+LINUX on the same system. As a basic rule, start from the dummiest OS (Win9x) and continue until you get to the smartest (Linux). I've used the NT loader to load the LILO (check also the RedHat LINUX HOWTO) but it's kind of difficult to update - for every change you make in your LILO, you have to peel the booting sector, through it in a file that you copy on your NT partition...<br><br>So, forget about the commercial boot managers. They cost money and they often they're going to mess with your system.<br><br>Andrew<br><br>

This usually means the /boot is past the 1024 cylinder limit<br>&nbsp;1GB on lilo for Mandrake 6.1<br>&nbsp;4 options<br>&nbsp;a) create a 10MB partition before the rest load the /boot<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;there with lilo in the MBR<br>&nbsp;b) copy the vmlinux to the win98 partition and user loadlin<br>&nbsp;c) get a more recent version Mandrake 7.0 is suppose <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;to handle this.<br>&nbsp;d) use a different bootloader.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( I like BSL, fits on one floppy and doesn't mess with much of the hard drive.)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Beret's System Loader<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WWW: <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br> <p> Tony ... aka chgwhat<br><a href=mailto:tony_b@technologist.com>tony_b@technologist.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>When in doubt,,, Power out...

I got around this very nicely using loadlin and my win98 config.sys file<br><br>loadlin was on my redhat cd and my config.sys file looks like:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><b><br>[MENU]<br>MENUITEM=1,Normal Windows Startup.<br>SUBMENU=2,Games Options.<br>MENUITEM=3,Linux<br>MENUDEFAULT=1,15<br><br><br>[1]<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>DOS=HIGH,UMB<br>DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:CD-ROM<br>COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS<br><br>[2]<br>MENUITEM=2A,Startup with NO EMS memory, for new games like Doom, Quake.<br>MENUITEM=2B,Startup with RAM memory, for older games like XWing, Wing Commander. <br>MENUITEM=2C,Startup with no memory managers, for newer games like Fifa97.<br>SUBMENU=MENU,Go to previous menu.<br><br>[2A]<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>DOS=HIGH,UMB<br>DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:CD-ROM<br>COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS<br><br>[2B]<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>DOS=HIGH,UMB<br>DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:CD-ROM<br>COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS<br><br>[2C]<br>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS<br>DOS=HIGH,UMB<br>DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:CD-ROM<br>COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS<br><br>[3]<br>shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2<br></font></b><br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Another alternative to booting your linux system is the good old floppy :) <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Mikelacey's idea for the MENUITEM for windows is a nice idea, however:

If you make ANY changes to your kernel, or recompiles, etc., you will not see them by loading from the original install kernel UNLESS you copy the new improved kernel over to the WIN9X drive that you're booting LINUX from.

Hmmm.. seems like I'm having similar problems, though they go in a slightly different direction.

I just recently installed Mandrake 7.1 onto a secondary physical drive and loaded both lilo and grub in an effort to dual boot. The primary physical drive on which windows was installed (hda) has become inaccessable-- save through the linux partition on my secondary physical drive (hdc5).

LILO is functional, and I can easily boot to floppy, failsafe, or Linux from it, but when I attempt to load windows, the following error message occurs:

STAGE 1 GEOM ERROR

Any suggestions?

Check out the Large Hard Drive HOwto. Back up your data, BACKU UP !!! Use Linux fdisk x(tra functionality)to change the Heads, Cylinders, and Sectors to match what the BIOS reports using LBA. The easy way is to enter the BIOS setup and set each hard drive to NORMAL. Enter the CHS settings listed on the drive itself or the documentation (WD HDD don't always give that, but use the software such as Data Lifeguard tools to fing the CHS). Once the CHS numbers are entered, change the drives from normal to LBA. The BIOS will now list different values for CHS. Record those and use Linux fdisk xx(tra functionality)to change the Heads, Cylinders, and Sectors. This Translation will means most HDD wil be addressed as if they had less than 1024 cylinders. LILO will no longer have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back