Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux - Win2k Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kposey

Programmer
Mar 23, 2001
US
Where can i find info on how to do a dual boot with Red Hat 7 and Win2k? I need user friendly instructions(since this is not for me).

Both Linux and win2k come with multiboot managers.
Install one OS, then install the other on a separate partiton or drive, you'll get LILO (multiboot manager for Linux) if you install Win2k first, and you'll get win2k's manager if you install Linux first.
Best option, go get a GUI driven boot manager from (it's free), and use it to manage the boot. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

W2k and RH Linux 7 has been one of the easiest dual-boot setups I've done.

All I did was to pre-partition the disk using fdisk (10Gb drive split 4, 3, 3), installed W2k into partition 1, then installed Linux into partition 2.

The remainder of the space I left for file sharing between the O/Ses (not necessary, but a nice touch!).

LILO was installed to the boot sector, but apart from that, no modifications to either installation, just next, next, next...

Jim, does W2k's bootmanager give the option to boot Linux? I've never tried it that way - just curious! ;-)

Not terribly sure about win2k, but XP (same basic kernel) will multiboot any bootable partition in the system.
I've got 98, Mandrake, 95, and XP (XP installed last), and during the setup, there's an option to add other OS's to the install, and provide the boot menu. Delay is preset at 30 seconds, but can be changed a number of ways, as can the default boot OS...
I know the Win2k install has the option to install a multiboot manager, not sure if it automatically recognizes a Linux partition or not... Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I only have this to add. I used System Commander to multiboot DOS, 95, NT and Linux. NT always fubarred after a couple boots. I later found out that my new boss found out it didn't happen if NT was installed first. Don't know if that still applies.

Don Swayser

Ive installed Win2k on a 2gig partition and formatted the remaining 28gigs... However, when i boot up it gives me 2 options both of which are Windows 2000. The first one does nothing(which is set as the default...after 2-3 seconds) and the second one is the one i need to go to. I need a way to change these settings. Any help

Right-click My Computer, choose Properties, then Advanced. Click the Startup and Recovery button, and the settings you are looking for are in there.

HTH :)

kposey,

I'd go with a third party software such as Partition Magic 6.0 or System Commander. Pretty much simplifies matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back