Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux web server?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi
I want to set up a web server at home.
what linux version would i need?
what other software would i need?
do i need name or DNS servers.etc?
I have a 512/128k DSL connection would that be sufficient for a web server?
I also have an Static Ip Address.

and is there anything else i need to know?
Thanks,
Chris!

There are many distrobutions of Linux out there that you can choose from. They are all basically the same thing, except they come with different packages, and possibly support options. I prefer Red Hat ( which is the most popular distro here in the US.

As far as web server, Apache ( is the most widely used web server in the world. I would highly recommend using Apache.

You don't have to run name servers on your server, you can use any DNS server you want.

"I have a 512/128k DSL connection would that be sufficient for a web server?" -->
- I can't answer this question because it depends on a lot of different things. How big is the site, how many hits per day, the quality of your DSL connection...

Thats good that you have a static IP because you won't have to use dynamic DNS then.

ChrisP
If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

you need a DNS server if you want people to access your page via ' Otherwise users have to type in your ip address.

To get started your ISP might be able to provide name resolution for you, there's also other services that do this too. Once you've got the hang of it you can set up your own dns server and host it yourself.

Be sure to check out Zone Edit at ["] You can use their DNS for up to 5 domain names and set up virtual hosting accounts on your Linux box. The first 5 domains are free, which is a big plus when you're just getting started. Each of my clients sets up their own Zone Edit account with server information I provide; this gives them control over their DNS, e-mail forwarding, etc.

Hey Chris, here is the address of a site where you can download Linux Red Hat Version 7.3 (the latest). You can install this version as a server (Apache). It's all free and
legal which gives you room to play with it. You can install it with DHCP and Web Services. It also comes with a decent firewall setup. You will have to learn some Unix commands also, but they are not that hard to pickup.
Download the 3 install discs from the i386 section which is dated Release : 2002-05-06.
If you have trouble downloading the discs, you can buy them cheaply at:
Lonewulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back