Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux to Windows modem2modem connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPi

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
US
I have 2 computers - a Mandrake Linux box and one running Windows 98SE. They both have modems which are not being used because im poor and cant pay for an internet connection. I want to know if i can set up a LAN with those modems. If i can't then i'll shell out the $15 for a network card (i can get another one off of a freind for free) and i'll do it that way but i don't feel like buying one if i don't have to. Im not worried about speed cause they're both >160MHZ computers and something is infinetly better than nothing. I looked around on Google but couldn't find any cross-platform setups so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------

MasterPi

You could in theory connect the two machines without network cards, assuming you have serial ports on both machines. I have never made such a connection, however I have linked to linux boxes together this way in a real pinch. On the linux side you will need to use pppd to accept a slip connection. If the other box was a linux box, it would also use pppd, but with Windows I am fairly sure you could do the same with dialup networking. Google away, include ppp and / or slip in your search and see what happens. For what it is worth, ppp stands for Point to Point Protocol, while slip is Serial Line Internet Protocol.

A direct modem to modem connection is not practical, as the modems expect to see a voltage on the telephone line that is usually supplied by the telephone company. Devices are available to emulate the phone line, but you would spend much more for one of those than you would for the network card. Some really old modems would ignore the fact that there was no voltage (dial tone) present, but most modern versions are picky about it.

Thanks ill do some googling. I'll post again if i get some results.

MasterPi

I found a cool mini-HOWTO on setting up a windows to linux slip connection.

Thanks for the help.

PS&BTW:Anybody know where to get a null-modem cable? I can probably get one at my local hardware store but I'm not sure

MasterPi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back