Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux server and windows clients 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glchisum

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2002
US
any suggestions on how to make this work - perhaps a good setup - i have looked at Samba - any other suggestions for the right mix of apps and features - all of the windows clients are running XP

the linux server will be used for file sharing and emails - all applications for users will be on the windows XP clients -

also mysql and apache on the server - probably use php - serve up intranet web pages

You have two choices, as I see it. Get the Linux box to perform in the Mi¢ro$oft network, or get the XP boxes to speak NFS. I recommend the former.

And when it comes to getting a non-Win32 OS to run on an M$ network, Samba is the only product I know of.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Samba is the best choice. I am running it as a Domain Controller, IP tables firewall, email server, web server etc. And it's rock solid. A word of caution: there is a little-known "feature" that requires you to create an account on the samba server for the XP workstations in the same way that you would create a regular user. The syntax is a little different though. If you don't do it, you'll never be able to log onto the domain or access the server.

Brian

hi axslinger can u tell me what all i need to do to make samba a domain controller plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back