Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Routing?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBMan

Programmer
Jul 1, 2000
US
I have a RedHat 7 Server which i want to be a router. I want to be able to "share" a internet connection between this computer and my OpenBSD workstation. Any sugestions on a better methiod than what I'm proposing would be appreasated.

~Ben

P.S
I already tryed a Proxy (they suck!)

I use squid and it works great! Also ip masquerading is popular but I haven't much success with that. Squid is a caching proxy so it will cache frequently accessed pages on the server for quicker access. Really great when you have multiple computers sharing one DSL/Cable connection.

Check it out here:

i have a 56k ppp connection. I like squid and am using it now but if i'm on my BSD workstation i would like to be able to use FTP and TELNET.

~Ben

well. to use ip_masq you can use this.. create a file and call it somthing like rc.share put it in your /etc/rc.d directory..

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

insmod ip_masq_autofw
insmod ip_masq_ftp
insmod ip_masq_portw

/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j MASQ

that should work.. replace the 10.0.0.0 with what ever subnet you might use.. i.e the 192.168.0.0 or what ever.
make sure you enable ip_masq and all that good stuff in your kernel.. and set your gateways to that box's internal ip address.. i.e my router is 10.0.0.1 and make sure your mask is correct.. i.e mine is 255.0.0.0 and for all your box's just pick a ip 10.0.0.2-255 for all the other machines.. and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back