Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux resets directories/files to chmod 644 every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceLAguy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2001
US
I'm desperate. At two different ISPs, directories and files are being reset every few minutes to chmod 644. Neither ISP knows how to modify this behavior, create an exception for my directories, or make it stop. It's a security feature of Linux, it seems. Any help you can give is sorely appreciated!

It's not a Linux feature. Most likely, a cron job is doing this to you.

If your ISP's don't know that much, I wouldn't trust 'em. Move your pages elsewhere. Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Tony,

It is helpful to know that unless Red Hat does something during its install process to set up such a cron job, they were both completely unaware that this resetting of the permissions is even occuring. What I need right now is the solution. Is there a config file that needs to be modified? Execution of some utility with options that will keep things as they are and create an exception of my directories/files? (Obviously I'm clueless, but all-ears!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back