Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Redhat 4 not showing Multi processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zum

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
US
Hi.

I'm running RedHat 4 kernel 2.6.9-78.ELsmp. I have a new Dell server that has 2 Quad processors. My system is only showing 4 processors running. I should show 8. Any suggestions on what the problem could be or how I can get the system to show the other processors?

Thanks.

My bios version is 2.5.0

Thanks

I don't think that kernel can manage quad core processors.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

While that kernel shouldn't have any problems with four cores, it would be worth updating it.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

My Bios does show 2 quad core processors. I have to use RedHat 4, because the application I'm want to run on it is only compatible with Red Hat 4. Which sucks.

@QatQat - Kernel 2.6.9-78.ELsmp supports 8 cores!!!

@Zum - have a read, it may give you some insights into the problem, specially the section that talks about isolation of CPU cores...

How can I dedicate one or more CPU's on a multi-processor system for exclusive use by one or more specific applications?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

from an old RH security advisory (2006), concerning RHEL vers4.

Kernel updates were made available for some hundreds of little issues among which

Bug No Description
178839 - CPU's being incorrectly numbered
180405 - kabi violation in multi-core detection patch

If that's the case a fresher kernel should fix that.
Anyway post the lines referring to

Siblings
COres
Physical id
Cpu cores
Core id

in your /proc/cpuinfo and let's see what your kernel has to say about your CPUs.

Having to use RHEL 4 doesn't mean you are stuck with the old kernel. I would recommend updating it anyway.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back