Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux "Small Business Server" Configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelNetSystems

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
I work with small businesses of 2 to 100 employees, and I want to configure a Linux based "general purpose" server for these people. I have used and worked with Microsoft Small Business Server to fill this need in the past, but I want to migrate to Linux. I have very little Unix/Linux experience, so this is going to be a very steep learning curve for me. I am realizing that many of the functions which were incorporated into the NT Server OS or massive software packages like Exchange are going to be composed of several smaller component applications in Linux, and I will have to choose one of several competing programs for each of these mini-applications. I would like to ask for your help in identifying the various applications I will need and narrowing the options down to the top two or three choices for each.

The primary considerations I have are these: I want to work within freeware applications as much as possible. Since I am new to Linux and Linux apps, ease of installation, configuration, and maintenace are of prime importance. I also want to stick with fairly common applications as much as possible, so I can easily find help when necessary. I am not terribly concerned with running the fastest or most powerfull applications if that means configuration and maintenace will be more difficult.

Some of the things I definitely want the system to be able to do: I expect most of these systems to be connected to cable or DSL (though a few may be dial-on-demand), some with fixed IPs and some with dynamic IPs. A web hosting provider will host their websites and provide a "catch all" or "domain" pop3 mailbox. I would like to set email up to send and recieve via SMTP, with the hosting provider's pop3 mailbox as a backup for inbound email. Windows clients will access the email via IMAP or webmail. I would like the Linux server to provide security/account authentication for Windows 2000/XP clients if possible, and host a shared company directory as well as individual user directories. Email and shared directories will need to automatically backup to a backup disk and DDS tape. I will need internet connection sharing and firewalling for the cable/DSL/dial connection, and would like to configure dial-on-demand as a failover for the cable/dsl connection. I also want to provide an intranet web server. Antivirus seems important for email and shared files.

Here is what I am thinking about at right now.

Red Hat 9 - for base distribution
getmail - for checking the pop3 account
postfix - for SMTP
Courier IMAP - for IMAP access
squirrelmail - for web based email access
apache - for the web server
Panda - for the antivirus
Samba - for Windows file and print shares

I don't know if these are the best choices, and I have no idea what to do for a dynamic DNS client, backup program, internet connection sharing, firewall, or other applications I am sure I will need but just don't know yet. I could also use any recommendations for applications that help configure and manage these applications.

Please feel free to contribute any thoughts or recommendations. Hopefully you will help guide me in the right directions from the beginning.

David Hall

It looks like you already did a lot of research on this. I would agree with most of the choices you made above.

Red Hat is my first and only choice for a Linux server. If I had to use another one, I would choose SuSE.

For an MTA, Postfix is the way to go. The alternatives are qmail, Sendmail, and exim.

For IMAP/POP access, I prefer Courier. The alternatives are qpopper (POP3 only) and UW-IMAP.

SquirrelMail is also my choice for web-based access to email. It works great with Courier-IMAP and Postfix.

Apache is the most widely used web server in the world. I wouldn't even consider another.

Samba is a great application for Windows clients. The upcoming Samba 3.0 will provide many new features including integration with Active Directory.

I haven't used virus scanners enough to comment on any.

For POP3 or IMAP access, you can use any mail client which supports POP3/IMAP access, which is basically all mail clients. For Linux, you can try Evolution, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc. For Windows, there's Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Lotus Notes, etc.

A good free backup utility is Amanda.

For internet connection sharing, routing, and firewalls, iptables is already built into the Linux kernel.

If you don't want to create your own iptables script, there are thousands of "pre-made" scripts that you can download. There are also lots of utilities that allow you to set up simple iptables rules using a GUI interface. Google for this and you'll find tons of them, or check out some of the links on this page...

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

I agree with fluid11 except for the Suse (don't support anyone linked with SCO). Mandrake9.1 is also a good option. Also very extensive like RedHat with it's packages.

A good book to get you up and running is "Linux for Windows Administrators" by Mark Minasi. This book will get anyone up and running. I had DNS, DHCP, Samba, etc up and running in minutes.

Just so there's no confusion, Red Hat is my first and only choice for a Linux server. I would only use SuSE if Red Hat went out of business, or if something really horrible happened like them being bought out by M$.

I actually read that "Linux for Windoze Admins" book awhile back when I was first starting out with Linux. That book has to be the best Linux book out there for Linux newbies. It was really good, I probably learned more from that book than from any of the 20+ Linux books I've read since then. There is an updated edition out on the book from the time that I first read it. I would highly recommend it to any Linux newbie.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

You can use Mandrake 9.1 as Linux Desktop and RH 9 as Linux server.That is perfect combination.You will feel free from blaster worm and So Big F....MS$ Virus....:)
Good Luck....:)

Hmm... thanks guys. I will order the Linux for Windows Administrators book today. I'm glad to see I'm barking up the right tree here. The array of possible configurations and options on a Linux box is a little daunting at first. I've gotten spoiled... its been a long time since I've had to struggle with the simple stuff.

Having a small farm of servers myself, I would make some suggestions.

1. Compile your own webserver. You can go to apachetoolbox.com and download all the binaries from source. You get a cleaner install, plus better understanding of how linux works

2. Squirell Mail does come bundled nicely with RH9, but once again requires apache RPM, which you may not want to do, if you compile your own webserver

3. I suggest installing squid, or Dansguard. Only real difference being, that dansguard is 50 dollars for a years worth of easy to use blacklisted sites and content raitings.
If not, you can always setup squid to filter out annoying sites, or sites that users are abusing
4. Open Groupware - prvides an excellent bundled for email/news/office collaberation- Its Exchange Like, and its free!

5. You may want to concider VPN support for your office. PopTop is a VPN client Server (much like Ms Windows Vpn) that allows Windows Machines to connect (poptop.org)

6. If you're new, I suggest installing Linuxconf, and Gnome Linuxconf.
7. Before you place it all on the net. I suggest doing some real homework into Unix security. The micro tutorials on iptables are okay if you are feeling lucky. Real Linux Security (book) is a good newbies guide to Linux Security. For firewalls specificly, I suggest Linux Firewalls 2.0. Explains iptables in great detail, as well as firewalls, packet routing, and shows examples

8. Dont take any 1 sources word for it.

For ease of use I picked shorewall for my redhat firewall, squid for proxy, sq mail. I hope to get asterisk to work as a pbx-voip one day.
Open office has been working great so far - some word issues, but excel compatability has been perfect.

Congrats on your first steps to software freedom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back