Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux onto a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavyDman

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
ZA
Hi

I have recently installed Linux (Mandrake Blue 7.0). I have operated the machine in standalone mode but now want to make it available on our network. How do I accomplish this - Do I simply edit /etc/hosts with the relevanet IP address? Are there other steps involved in the process?

Cheers

You need to change your runlevel. Single user is '1' (how did you get it there btw??) and you should go to '3' depending on distribution.

# init 3

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

It depends on exactly what you mean by "make it available on our network". If you're talking about seeing and accessing it from Windows clients, you'll need to install and configure Samba.

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Do you need to give the machine an IP address too or set it up for DHCP? Do you want to enable certain daemons like ssh, ftp, http, smb...etc. ? When you say stand alone mode, do you mean it wasn't connected to any kind of networking (including the internet) before, which means something different than what run-level you were at before.

-Venkman

Just run a little nmap over it and see whats available to your network.

Check you ethernet setup first by typing ifconfig at the command line. It should look something like this. The inet addr: should be what ever you are currently using on your network.

[root@mail /root]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:08:AE:0C:E9
inet addr:192.168.0.3 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5167107 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6372468 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:13
collisions:554867 txqueuelen:100
Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6100

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1
RX packets:56418 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:56418 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

If it looks like this than you are good to go given that 192.168.?.0 is your subnet. If not you can configure everything by typing linuxconf at the command line (as root). If you need windows connectivity you will need to setup Samba and the smb client. There are plenty of How To's that can be googled on that subject.

Good Luck!
GGortt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back